Rear Panel Fitting Advice

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Rear Panel Fitting Advice

Post by 100leelee »

Hi,
Have the offside rear arch panel to fit.
Question is how to best secure the panel against the c pillar. The middle panel ideally I would not wish to remove...
My plan was to cut down the old panel, then slide the new panel in and plug through both panels into c pillar.. see photo..
Any advice welcome..!!
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Rear Panel Fitting Advice

Post by multisi »

Go inside the van and tack weld the edge of the middle panel to the rear panel which is attached to the c post. If you dont do this the middle panel may not be attached to anything on that area after the remnants of the rear panel have been removed. Then from the outside trim off the remnants of the rear panel. Drill some holes for the plug welds and offer up the new panel which may need the return edge trimmed down .
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Re: Rear Panel Fitting Advice

Post by 100leelee »

multisi wrote:Go inside the van and tack weld the edge of the middle panel to the rear panel which is attached to the c post. If you dont do this the middle panel may not be attached to anything on that area after the remnants of the rear panel have been removed. Then from the outside trim off the remnants of the rear panel. Drill some holes for the plug welds and offer up the new panel which may need the return edge trimmed down .

Managed to cut through to let me get the new panel onto the c post, it's like a jigsaw puzzle, next issue is the panel I have is one piece, so no seam over the wheel arch.. don't really want to weld this, ideally use panel bond / silkaflex or similar??