Grill Paint Removal and respray

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Grill Paint Removal and respray

Post by bmouthboyo »

I am hoping to respray my Taifun grill which at some point seems to have had a light spray coat applied. My home pressure washer took some off but not enough so will need to get the rest off before spraying black.

I have a Dremel and wondered if any attachments would be suited to this but not so aggressive to damage the plastic itself or is a paint stripper better?

Then onto spraying it black. Can anyone recommend a decent primer and black spray paint? I will do lower and rear grills too.

Cheers
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Re: Grill Paint Removal and respray

Post by what2do »

Take a step back and save yourself a heap of time. Take it a blaster, bung him a tenner and it'll come back perfectly clean, slightly coarse from the sand but this provides a brilliant surface for the paint to key to. Did mine myself with plasterers sand from B&Q, painted with a tin of matt black from Halfords about 3 years ago, it still looks mint.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Post by bmouthboyo »

Haha I beat you too it, just dropped it of at a local blasters and he is going to see if it will soda blast OK.

So my next question is is their a special paint I need that wont flake off, and do I need to add a gloss clear coat on top to protect?

I will be doing lower and rear grills also so will use this for them.

Steel wheels need doing in black also, anything you would recommend for them? I guess more durable and high temp from braking?
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Same for me. I lightly sand blasted mine, sprayed with standard matt black can. Did it years ago, still as good as when done.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶