Sliding window - Autohomes Conversion

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kezza87
80-90 Mem No: 15492

Sliding window - Autohomes Conversion

Post by kezza87 »

Hi, I have just replaced the felt runner part of my sliding window. Im getting a lot of water leaking inside. am I correct in thinking this is how these sliding windows work. Basically in heavy rainfall (hose pipe test) the water actually goes to the inside "gutter" part of the window then out through the drainage holes?

I seem to have a leak where this gutter section is bonded onto the window so I plan on pulling it off and sealing it back on with Sikaflex.
1986 1.9DG WBX (was Autohomes High top)

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Sliding window - Autohomes Conversion

Post by AngeloEvs »

Unfortunately, it is a poor design made worse by the fact that the water runs onto the floor behind the kitchen units.

I drilled extra drainage holes in the alloy frame to allow more water to escape on the outside and blocked the inner drain holes but in heavy rain some still gets into the van. The lower fridge vent is another source of water and damp getting in.

When I did my interior I welded a new section to eliminate the need for a lower vent and applied waxoil and greased the floor along the right hand side.

Best solution is a better window like the louvred type or a standard one piece which is what I am thinking of doing.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

kezza87
80-90 Mem No: 15492

Post by kezza87 »

Thanks for your reply, I thought this was probably the case. im going to pull the window out again and reseal the gutter. ill look at drilling more holes too. if my efforts fail Ill be swapping it for solid glass. I have looked for louvred windows but couldn't seem to find anything for the T25.
1986 1.9DG WBX (was Autohomes High top)

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I drilled several extra holes in the outer frame and carried through to the middle part of the frame so water could escape from the inner channel into the outer channel and then out down the out side. During heavy rain the amount that can escape is not enough and the channels fill and over spill.

There are a couple of plain OS centre wndows on EBAY and I recently saw a louvred type but IIRC pre 86 vans have different size windows but not sure wether it was the centre or rear that were different.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior