Rear panel replacement

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Rear panel replacement

Post by Slider2 »

So time has come and I've bit the bullet. The n/s panel needs fixing.

I reckon it has all stemmed from leaking rear window but the previous owner had the arch and lower 1/4 replaced (same time as trailing arm mount) but it was a pretty poor job.
Every edge is gone, lots of filler jumping away from rusting steel, seams rotted, engine side tray gone, c pillar holed, sliding door track mount rotten, window aperture rotten. So all in all I figuered go big!

Has anyone done this panel before? Any photos, tips / suggestions? I guess a lot of internal welding ahead of me. Lots of fire blankets & fire extinguishers to hand?!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.49 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (99.33 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

Lukash

Re: Rear panel replacement

Post by Lukash »

I've got a similar state of affairs with my van - the panel behind the sliding door track completely rotten out and below that in a pretty bad way also, so will be watching this post with interest. Where did you get your panel from?

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I did that on mine - I'd show you some photos only photobucket have decided I should pay them 399 dollars for the privilege of linking photos! :D

Its somewhere in this album...

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/boat_b ... t=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

Slider2
80-90 Mem No: 15069

Post by Slider2 »

Lukash wrote:I've got a similar state of affairs...
yes, panel is in the garage awaiting the 'big job''. I have also ordered a new c-pillar and new sliding door middle runner as I couldn't face trying in vain to clean up something that was already rusting badly. For the money, good piece of mind. Everything came from vw heritage as it is just down the road and they can order from classic parts without further p&p charges.

I've followed your threads boatbuilder - great work... wish I could work indoors on this!! I remember looking at your side panel job but thought you used the 'tall panel' aftermarket parts? I did just follow your photo bucket link.... but I just end up at dodgy online betting redirects. photobucket have really made a mess of the internet lately!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Excellent pics. Starts on page 27 :D

boatbuilder wrote:I did that on mine - I'd show you some photos only photobucket have decided I should pay them 399 dollars for the privilege of linking photos! :D

Its somewhere in this album...

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/boat_b ... t=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.