How much rust is too much rust?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

restoman
80-90 Mem No: 12366

Re: How much rust is too much rust?

Post by restoman »

Hey Fazzer
I'm a workshop too
Looks like we're too cheap!!

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

Post by fazzer »

Yes mate I think we are cheap .don't go throwing lots of money at it ,mite do better getting rid and buying something you will enjoy without all the heartache.Bear in mind you'll be driving all round country in it .

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

Post by 100leelee »

davidoft1 wrote:
100leelee wrote:
TheBeaver wrote:Thanks guys. I had thought something similar myself. Not sure if I can sell it with a good conscience though... Another idea I had was to find a nice (rust free) Caravelle or Syncro and do a transplant of all the camping equipment.

Rust free examples seem incredibly rare!!
Just spent the best part of a year removing the rust and replacing with new, and there were still areas where I could have done more!!!
Whatever you buy will eventually need work.
I was fortunate to have the space and the benefit of a previous bug resto to fall back on, but it is still a huge undertaking..
As others have said it’s always at least 3x as bad as you think !!
There were times when I was ready to sell it as was..but it’s now past the worst thankfully!!
Would agree, find the best you can (and afford) as a start point..

I had a virtually rust free shell, couldn’t sell it for £500 with good rear arms and full suspension and electrics

Don't want to hear that now :D

D34dR4bb17
80-90 Mem No: 16516

Post by D34dR4bb17 »

This is a tricky situation, as any old van is going to have rust, and you invest a lot of emotion in these vans. We've just got a westfalia club joker poptop, and have since discovered the entire rear quarter needs replacing.

This is probably gonna cost thousands to do it right.

However I need to consider these club jokers don't come up very often, and even in bad condition are not cheap. Mine has all the tinted double glazing, even the rear, the heater works, and so does the fridge, isri seats, and the interior is in practically new condition. The rest of the bodywork is in unusually good condition, where it normally would be bad.

So the van can most likely pay back the work in the long run, but it's still a lot of money, I need to find someone who can do it right, find the panels, and I need to convince the wife!

It's not easy, and I wish you luck with whatever decision you make.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk