MIG gas

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

MIG gas

Post by kit »

Still trying to master this welding thing, currently pretty good at tacking but struggling to do continues seams, any way so far I have got through bottles of "hobby" gas in about 2 hours of welding am I doing something wrong?
1y Tin top rust collector.

jimrat
80-90 Mem No: 15812

Re: MIG gas

Post by jimrat »

Hi

Have you had a look at http://www.mig-welding.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? Loads of great tutorials and videos on there. Any spray paint stuff too.

Apart from structural areas, most steel on a T25 is 1mm thick, so as a beginner you're not going to be able to lay a continuous weld without blowing holes or warping. Have you tried stitching pieces together- lots of individual welds about 5mm long, initially well spaced out so the metal doesn't get too hot, then go back and progressively fill in the gaps until you have a continuous weld, albeit laid in many individual tacks - if that makes sense.

Cant comment on your gas usage- depends what size bottles you are using. I use Hobbyweld gas (argon/C02 mix), set at about 10-15lts/min, and each bottle lasts many many hours

Good luck
Jim
1990 T25 camper, 2.1 DJ

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: MIG gas

Post by itchyfeet »

I have this simple gauge but you can get better ones that connect to the bottle.

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks