New Window Seals

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sunluvva
80-90 Mem No: 0

New Window Seals

Post by sunluvva »

Can anyone suggest where I can get a set of window seals for my Autohomes Kamper conversion. It's a 1984 Caravelle.
I'm told generic kits like the JK ones won't fit as it's a panel van conversion rather than a campervan build. JK can sell me all the bits but at over £100 quid more than the kit.

I'd like a kit if I can get one or suggestions as to what size rubber seal I'd need. The 4 middle cab windows have the beading but front windscreen and tailgate don't. Thanks

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: New Window Seals

Post by R0B »

http://www.volkswagenemporium.co.uk/vw_ ... l_kits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

sunluvva
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by sunluvva »

Thanks, I'll take a look and price it up x

shrig1969
80-90 Mem No: 11920

Post by shrig1969 »

If possible measure the thickness of the glass and the metal surround of the frame. I know it means taking one out before ordering but will save a lot of hassle when it comes to fitting. I made this mistake and found it impossible to get a good seal. (Leaks galore!!!)
Have since got ones that fit correctly and all is well.
Good luck
I am no mechanic, but I try......
1987 1.9DG Hi top 4 speed manual

djswain1
80-90 Mem No: 15611

Post by djswain1 »

I got mine from Mike a trader on here is username is Plasticman, I told him what conversion I had and how many windows and he prices it up for me and knew what I needed didn't have to measure anything.. :-)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Bessie the bus- 1987 Holdswoth Vision 1.9DG auto with VW factory hitop

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

Hi,
Look at Seals Direct and c o h Baines websites for window rubbers

Don
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

I'm assuming this is what I need to replace my window rubbers.
http://www.volkswagenemporium.co.uk/sho ... aytonright" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any ideas on quantities and which one or do i need to take a seal out to measure it?
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

kentishvanman
80-90 Mem No: 875

Post by kentishvanman »

You need to know the thickness of the glass and the thickness of the metalwork, plus any lining etc, and choose the nearest rubber with the appropriate gaps. You also need to measure the length of rubber around each window add a bit on (50-75mm to each window) add it all up and that's how much you need.
Take one window out to measure up and then put it back with the old rubber, as practice, because the new rubber will be more difficult to fit, especially as the weather is getting colder. Use WD40 as lubricant not washing up liquid. A tool for inserting the 'insert' plus plastic spatula will make life easier.
Suggestion, after the practice; estimate how long it will take you, double or even treble it and then think maybe it might be worth paying Autoglass, or similiar, to fit it for you using your rubbers not theirs.
1987/8 Autosleeper, 1.9dg (Automatic) hightop. Petrol/ LPG

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

Thanks, sounds like a lot of work! are the JK ones really that bad? Yea, i've already decided to contact a bodyshop to see if they would be willing. we dont have an autoglass locally. Only problem is when my van was resprayed and "restored" they didnt paint up the inside of the window - at least on the sliding door! So i will need to attack these areas also!
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.