Seam Sealant - When to apply

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Seam Sealant - When to apply

Post by Titus A Duxass »

I am about to start the restoration / rebuild of my bus.
I going to clean out all the seams, treat them with Owatröl, the question is - when do I apply the seam sealant?

Do I first primer and then apply the sealant or do I apply the sealant and then prime?

I intend masking the either side of the seams with Frog tape and then applying the sealant so I can keep things neat.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: Seam Sealant - When to apply

Post by ZsZ »

I first used sealer on bare metal then rust came quick (1,5-2yrs). Next time first primer then sealer, this time tis still holding (3yrs). Ive seen a trend using sealer on final paint, not sure how it holds.

Masking makes things easier. A painter friend told me the technique: apply sealer, pull masking tape, wait one-two mins and wipe/push sealer into the seam with wet finger. Wont be a factory look but will adhere better.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

ZsZ wrote:A painter friend told me the technique: apply sealer, pull masking tape, wait one-two mins and wipe/push sealer into the seam with wet finger. Wont be a factory look but will adhere better.

:ok Good Tip!
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Titus A Duxass wrote:I am about to start the restoration / rebuild of my bus.
I going to clean out all the seams, treat them with Owatröl, the question is - when do I apply the seam sealant?

Do I first primer and then apply the sealant or do I apply the sealant and then prime?

I intend masking the either side of the seams with Frog tape and then applying the sealant so I can keep things neat.

To match o.e, prime seams and allow to dry throughly and then apply sealer. Wipe residue off with some panel wipe or similar and then apply top coat as normal. Use a correct cloth that is lint free and won't dissolve with the solvent or your leave bits of it in the new sealant. :roll:

Or, if you are trying to replicate the process used on 'modern' vans with raised sealant joints then it's usually applied with an air powered injector gun fitted with a nozzle with 2 little legs on so as to give the bead. You need a firm hand to use these and work smoothly or it will look naff.

Or, you can use vinyl masking tape and build up with say 2 or 3 layers to give height- exact level edges per layer and apply sealant, again over primed metal (never bare steel) To give a clean edge, remove the tape just as the sealant starts to cure and carefully pull the tape , the first one laid, (leave a bit of that a bit longer at the start) inward at 30 odd degrees and not outward or you risk ripping the sealer edges outward. ( Same goes for paint masking for 2 colours, use vinyl tape and remove inward to give a perfect edge)

:ok

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Post by dumbo »

Ok so what's the best sealant to use then? Thanks
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

New Kentish Campers

Tiger seal isn't bad, though I like to use either Sikkaflex 221 or Wurth panel join (sorry, but I can't remember the model number though a factors will )

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

New Kentish Campers wrote:I like to use either Sikkaflex 221 .....

Sikaflex is what I intend to use.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

New Kentish Campers

Yeah, it's a tad expensive but very good stuff. Maybe I paid more because mine had two KKs in it :)

Good luck with the job, bung some pics up afterwards

patrickpawsey
80-90 Mem No: 16721

Post by patrickpawsey »

What owatrol did you use titus? The plain oil or the primer with the oil mixed in it? I've been using the plain oil anywhere there's a spot of rust i can see outside but I'm starting to prepare to rake out the seams and treat/reseal them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
1990 Autohomes Komet HiTop Camper
1.9 DG on Pierburg 2e3, 4 speed

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

patrickpawsey wrote:What owatrol did you use titus? The plain oil or the primer with the oil mixed in it? I've been using the plain oil anywhere there's a spot of rust i can see outside but I'm starting to prepare to rake out the seams and treat/reseal them.

Holy thread resurrection batman!

I used the plain oil.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

patrickpawsey
80-90 Mem No: 16721

Post by patrickpawsey »

I did wonder if it would activate from so long ago!
Thanks for the info. I've used the plain oil too but am wondering what to use for slight more finished job - probably just plain oil then gloss with 20% oil mixed in.

Have your ever used vactan on the same areas as owatrol? From what I read it looked like it was kind of one or the other, but without actually doing it and waiting a few years it's hard to know!

1990 Autohomes Komet HiTop Camper
1.9 DG on Pierburg 2e3, 4 speed

Titus A Duxass

Post by Titus A Duxass »

patrickpawsey wrote:
Have your ever used vactan on the same areas as owatrol? From what I read it looked like it was kind of one or the other, but without actually doing it and waiting a few years it's hard to know!

You are correct, it's either one or the other.

I have a cast iron sewing machine stand that I wire brushed to remove the loose bits and then painted with Owatrol and nothing else. It's still looking good despite being stood outside for two years.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l