Legroom with the stock seats + steering wheel

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MattMalone
80-90 Mem No: 15649

Legroom with the stock seats + steering wheel

Post by MattMalone »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post so sorry if this isn't in the right place (but I'm quite sure it is)

I did a test drive of a T25 this morning (1980 1.9 petrol) and found the driving position a bit of a challenge. I'm 6 foot something (1 or 2) and with my long legs I could barely get in, and the steering wheel was basically touching my legs. I could drive it okay, but switching from accelerator to brake was a bit tricky as I couldn't move my legs too much!

Are there any simple things that could be done to make this a bit easier? Or if you're in a similar position how do you deal with it? E.g. Raising the steering wheel somehow?

I really want to buy the van, but being able to drive comfortably is fairly high up the list.

Thanks!
Matt
------
1980 T3 Westfalia - 1.8T Petrol - Green (mostly)

crazyhorse
80-90 Mem No: 15202

Re: Legroom with the stock seats + steering wheel

Post by crazyhorse »

I am 6.1 and easily fit in. nowhere near the steering wheel. This sounds obvious but was the drivers seat as far back on the runners?? My girlfriend moves the seat forward when she drives and then I struggle but when I move it back I can fit no worries at all
87 Transporter 1.9 WBX DG and LPG. In Maroon

http://www.guestwho.biz

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

As above my brother is 6ft 5 and had my old van for a couple of years and found it OK. Fitting a smaller steering wheel would be the easiest way to increase leg/wheel clearance.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

MattMalone

Post by MattMalone »

Thanks guys! I did think the seat was all the way back, but I spoke to the guy I'm buying it off (he is in Australia, I was chatting with his parents) and he thinks maybe the seat is reclined so it's not going back quite all the way (would make sense). I'm not familiar with the seats so maybe I just didn't realise.

If 6"5 could fit I'm definitely doing something wrong, I'm not that tall :D

Are there smaller steering wheels that are still large enough to turn easily? Obviously the stock one is huge because you need the leverage.
------

a1winchester
80-90 Mem No: 7187

Post by a1winchester »

A smaller wheel can give very heavy steering at low speeds and possibly impede vision of the instruments. Check the seat runners firsy. Easy to inspect to see if they are on full travel or not.
1990 Autosleeper Trident. Water cooled 1.9L DG + 4 speed manual box

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

MattMalone wrote:Thanks guys! I did think the seat was all the way back, but I spoke to the guy I'm buying it off (he is in Australia, I was chatting with his parents) and he thinks maybe the seat is reclined so it's not going back quite all the way (would make sense). I'm not familiar with the seats so maybe I just didn't realise.

If 6"5 could fit I'm definitely doing something wrong, I'm not that tall :D

Are there smaller steering wheels that are still large enough to turn easily? Obviously the stock one is huge because you need the leverage.
Maybe theyre not stock seats, and have a thicker seat base? Perhaps try and get a photo of them, someone here will confirm if theyre non standard :)
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

I noticed a big difference when I changed my seats from original to an alternative (from a Citroen BX). The steering wheel was much closer to my thighs and my feet only just reach the pedals, and the Citroen seats don't sit anywhere near as high as some replacement seats.
As said......post a pic and let's see what you got :D
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

MattMalone

Post by MattMalone »

As requested, these are the seats... Only pic i have at the moment

------

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

By the look of that extended gear stick those seats are way to high, you need to see if a standard seat can replace those seats .
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

MattMalone

Post by MattMalone »

multisi wrote:By the look of that extended gear stick those seats are way to high, you need to see if a standard seat can replace those seats .

Okay cool, so... I didn't realise they weren't stock, seen photos with many different seats!

1. Where might I find replacement(s) - I'd be happy with just 1 to begin with, the passenger doesn't matter right now
2. How would I know if they would be likely to fit?
------

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Take a close up of the runners , if the original runners are still there its an easy swap, if they have been removed by drilling out spot welds things get a bit trickier but do able.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

MattMalone

Post by MattMalone »

multisi wrote:Take a close up of the runners , if the original runners are still there its an easy swap, if they have been removed by drilling out spot welds things get a bit trickier but do able.

I'll try and get one, I only went to view it today so I can't get a photo immediately, I'll ask the seller :)

Where would the best place to find original seats? eBay? Or some parts sellers I don't know about? Only just bought it and already spending on it :D To be expected...

Earlier I didn't have the seat all the way back I realised (I moved it forward as they block the stove) so I'll be able to drive it like it temporarily.
------

evilnoodle
80-90 Mem No: 10633

Post by evilnoodle »

Are the seats on a swivel base? The base looks a bit complicated.....
Jane :-)

LIVE YOUR DREAMS......................except for the one about being eaten by a giant spider!

MattMalone

Post by MattMalone »

evilnoodle wrote:Are the seats on a swivel base? The base looks a bit complicated.....

Yep they still swivel... so maybe the original base is still there somewhere!
------

MattMalone

Post by MattMalone »

Hit eBay quickly and found these - which are stock, apparently.

So if the stock base is still there, these could fit right in?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Bus-Westfa ... Sw65FXvV0h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
------