sliding door lock repair

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mbcamper
80-90 Mem No: 13121

sliding door lock repair

Post by mbcamper »

A reprobate has attempted to open my sliding door with something which definately wasn't my key:

It was a completely unsuccessful attempt to enter my van, but annoyingly it means that I can't unlock the sliding door from the outside any more as my key won't even push into the lock. You can of course unlock it from the inside so it's not a disaster.

I'd really like to sort it out and as I'm still in the position where one key fits all of my locks and I'd like stay that way!

Is there someone who can supply me with a kit of bits to fix my lock so it will work with my original key? I appreciate it may be a fiddly job with lots of small parts and filing!

Thanks

Mark

cassandra
80-90 Mem No: 15531

Re: sliding door lock repair

Post by cassandra »

Hi, various places can sell you a new barrel (and key) then you would need to re-tumble the new barrel to your old key. If you can get the old barrel out easily then you simply need to swap tumblers from old to new barrel. You will need to get the key into the old barrel before you can remove the barrel from the handle. This is very fiddly to do but not impossible, I have done many door lock barrels over the years and at one time VW would not sell a complete barrel only a kit to build yourself.

Hope this helps
1981 Eurec Cassandra 2.0 CU RHD!
BMW R Nine T Scrambler.
ETC

mbcamper

Post by mbcamper »

Do you know a supplier of the parts I need?

I can see that Brickwerks offer a complete service, which is tempting :

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/door-lock- ... -door.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Hi, just kampers Part Number: J16992 but if you want an easier option then brickwerks is the obvious choice .
BMW R Nine T Scrambler.
ETC

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

mbcamper wrote:I can see that Brickwerks offer a complete service, which is tempting :

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/door-lock- ... -door.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've gone this route and it worked a treat - just remember to NOT remove the wrap from around the new barrel until you're ready to install... :oops:

Edited to add: The turn-around between me sending my key off and getting it all back was amazingly quick too, top service.
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Does anyone know if its possible to get the barrel out to rekey it if you don't have the key?
I bought a second hand handle for mine but it didn't come with a key.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

mbcamper

Post by mbcamper »

I've basically got he same problem as I can't get my key in the lock!

I've chatted to Simon at Brickwerks and he said my main issue will be removing the grub screw. He didn't mention having a problem removing the barrel if he understood my problem correctly.

I'm going to give it a try to see if I can get the barrel out by removing the grub screw and I'll report back.

mbcamper

Post by mbcamper »

Well I'm not sure if I'm really making progress, but I've found the location of the grub screw which was hidden by a plug of dirt. For reference it's here:

I cleaned it out with a needle and releasing oil.

The screw is tiny and would be damaged easily

Removing it hasn't allowed to barrel to drop out, but I suspect it's a step in the right direction.

I do have a horrible feeling that not being able to get the key in the lock may be an issue, but we'll see!

Anyone done this and can offer pointers?

mbcamper

Post by mbcamper »

Well after a bit more messing about I've removed the lock barrel without a key in the lock!

They key (excuse pun) is this little window:

Having removed the grub screw, you just need to push a screwdriver into the window and ease the lock barrel out. Requires a little persuasion and releasing oil but eventually it start to comes out:

So taking the tumblers out of the lock barrel I think I can see why it wasn't working:

On a positive note without the tumblers the key goes into the lock and operates it once again, however my basic knowledge of locks suggests that this isn't very secure (any item of cutlery would open this lock :-))

So barrel extracted! Hope that helps answer your question Mr Boatbuilder (your restoration has always been a source of inspiration).

So I guess I'll purchase a re-keyed barrel, unless anyone knows a supplier for VW lock tumblers. If you do, let me know and this thread will expand to a more interesting DIY project.

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Hi, VW themselves sold tumbler kits a few years ago but not sure if they are still available. I did have hundreds of the things back in the 90s when joyriding in old golfs was all the rage but can't seem to find any in my tool boxes now otherwise I could have sent you a good variety. Sorry. Try a friendly main dealer, you never know what is lurking in the dark recesses of the parts department!

Hope this helps.
BMW R Nine T Scrambler.
ETC

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

Thanks mb, good to know you can do it without the key!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

mbcamper wrote:Well after a bit more messing about I've removed the lock barrel without a key in the lock!

They key (excuse pun) is this little window:

Having removed the grub screw, you just need to push a screwdriver into the window and ease the lock barrel out. Requires a little persuasion and releasing oil but eventually it start to comes out:

So taking the tumblers out of the lock barrel I think I can see why it wasn't working:

On a positive note without the tumblers the key goes into the lock and operates it once again, however my basic knowledge of locks suggests that this isn't very secure (any item of cutlery would open this lock :-))

So barrel extracted! Hope that helps answer your question Mr Boatbuilder (your restoration has always been a source of inspiration).

So I guess I'll purchase a re-keyed barrel, unless anyone knows a supplier for VW lock tumblers. If you do, let me know and this thread will expand to a more interesting DIY project.
What a great post
Thanks MB
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

If you look closely at the tumblers there should be numbers on them from 1 to 4. So you would then know what exact tumblers you need.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Tumbler sets (wafers) - when you can get them, are around the £50 mark. The alternative is to take apart second-hand locks for the wafers.

Personally I'd look at the bigger picture here. Firstly I'd find out if a mate can open your drivers door with his T25 key. If he can, its way time you replaced the main locks anyway. I bought two new front ones (£13 each), changing wafers in passenger one to match drivers, then set the sliding door to match those. Worked out to about £40 in all. I left tailgate for a later time (have a few s/h wafers for that job) and ignition fine for me with other key.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

boatbuilder

Post by boatbuilder »

I can see them on eBay available from America but the seller charges a crazy postage price.