Autosleeper Pop-top Roof Bonding Fail. Why?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bmouthboyo
80-90 Mem No: 9396

Autosleeper Pop-top Roof Bonding Fail. Why?

Post by bmouthboyo »

So 3 years ago just before I moved abroad for work I hastily bonded my Autosleeper Poptop Roof back down to my van using Sikaflex.

I cleaned up the areas it would adhere to and decided to bond not only the sides but the rear and front instead if using the new rubber seals I sourced as I was told the bonding chemicals now are much stronger and I did not want a repeat of the water ingress and damage going the original method Autosleeper took of screwing the pop top and covering with a rubber seal. I applied the Sikaflex liberally to the areas I marked around where the roof would be touching the van and then ratchet strapped the roof down to apply some pressure, leaving it like this for a year.

This was only really a temporary measure as I am looking to fully prep the pop top for respraying in 2017 when I return to the UK.

The van has been covered for 3 years with a breathable cover, however upon checking the van this July when I visited the UK I noticed the bonding does not look strong and is showing cracks and movement.

Video of the movement in the bonding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FXpJ6zrhsg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am now thinking it might be best to fully remove the pop top again for ease of prep and respray, but am now worried what went wrong originally and how I can best secure it down next time with no possibility of leaks or movement.

I vaguely remember when I originally removed the poptop years ago that it had a kind of plastic right angled strip running the length of the gutter, but cannot work out A) What was the purpose of it, and B) How I could secure the poptop to both this angled plastic and to the van.

This is what it originally had:

Can anyone offer any advice? Did I use the wrong bonding agent (Sikaflex)? Did I not apply even pressure? Did I not key / clean the surface appropriately? Can I just add more sikaflex after to patch the holes/gaps that might appear? Should I not bond the front and rear and go with the rubber seal / screw to roof method again?

Cheers in advance for any help :ok
1983 Autosleeper Trooper - 1.8 Gti Conversion

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Autosleeper Pop-top Roof Bonding Fail. Why?

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I clean up areas like that with acetone before using the adhesive - what did you use? (white spirit is no good as it leaves the surface slightly greasy)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:I clean up areas like that with acetone before using the adhesive - what did you use? (white spirit is no good as it leaves the surface slightly greasy)

As I was rushing I think just a panel cleaner but I imagine I did not do a thorough job. Is it OK to paint the binding area? Must it be keyed? Sizable the best stuff?

How did you clamp it down?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Mine was on a high top but just used its own weight. I would have thought that if you clamp it down too much you would squeeze all of it out! I wouldn't paint just before applying though.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Mine was on a high top but just used its own weight. I would have thought that if you clamp it down too much you would squeeze all of it out! I wouldn't paint just before applying though.
Doing it under its own weight fills the natural gaps. If you clamp the sealant is under tension when released the clamp.
2.1 Twin slider

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

With its own weight it didn't seem to fit quite right at the rear if I remember. I guess it's going to have to be a take it back off job? No way to rectify?

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

OK back to this in a few weeks when I return to the UK.

Question is should I remove whole roof and start again or can you apply sealant over old sealant?

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

I spoke to a chap at Sika about this and he told me that I must use the Sika cleaner and primer to guarantee a proper bond. :ok
Syncropatrick followed these guidelines and successfully attached his Dehler roof. :ok

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

You applied too much pressure I would say , ending up with too thin an layer
When I put a autosleeper hitop roof on my OHs camper I didn't strap it down , and it's all good some 4 years later
I only cleaned the surfaces with thinners and any sikaflex that did squeeze out I cut off with a knife after it had cured
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

bmouthboyo

Post by bmouthboyo »

Sorry to drag this back up but it is now getting to the weather I can finally see to this.

2 questions:

1) Can you create a goot seal / bong if you remove a small section of existing sikaflex and apply new? i.e. does sikaflex adhere to an existing application?

2) I have sourced some autosleeper poptop rubber seal for the front above the windscreen to add. Is there a product you can use to both help seal the join to the roof and the rubber? (Originally Autosleeper screw through it!)