Opinions on this bed please

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Les Shoes
80-90 Mem No: 14930

Post by Les Shoes »

Hi, hopefully getting the van home this weekend finally. First job once I get started is to get a bed in there, I've been looking at this -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141855818494 mainly because it's the only one I've seen with seat belts built in but also because they say the can make custom ones and I'd like mine to sit a few inches higher to give me more storage underneath at the back.
Has anyone else bought a bed from these people, is it worth buying a bed with the belts built in and is it a good idea to raise it higher than usual? So many questions! All advice greatfully received, thanks :-)

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

My completely biased opinion would be to hunt around for a full width Westfalia Rock n Roll bed, nice original equipment then...Oh, try German eBay for Westy & Multivan stuff. Most sellers in my experience will ship to UK.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

Les Shoes

Re: Opinions on this bed please

Post by Les Shoes »

DoubleOSeven wrote:My completely biased opinion would be to hunt around for a full width Westfalia Rock n Roll bed, nice original equipment then...Oh, try German eBay for Westy & Multivan stuff. Most sellers in my experience will ship to UK.

Thanks but I'm actually after a 3/4 width bed, I want to build some storage space in down the side.

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

bed in the link looks like it would just crumple in an accident, all the forwards loadings would pull in the centre of the bed at the shoulder loops, and you are relying on a single steel bar and a bit of flat sheet to resist it...er, no.

Les Shoes

Post by Les Shoes »

DavidPallister wrote:bed in the link looks like it would just crumple in an accident, all the forwards loadings would pull in the centre of the bed at the shoulder loops, and you are relying on a single steel bar and a bit of flat sheet to resist it...er, no.
That's what I was wondering, is it possible to use the original seat belt mounts on both sides with a 3/4 bed? Or would this restrict the available space too much on the short side? I have no windows in the back panels so was planning a tall cupboard next to the bed. There's only 3 of us anyway so one seat is spare really.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

The one on ebay looks like a copy of my design. I can't see what sort of mounting points are used though. Best one is the Rusty Lee bed - on offer for £200 at mo I think.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Les Shoes

Post by Les Shoes »

CovKid wrote:The one on ebay looks like a copy of my design. I can't see what sort of mounting points are used though. Best one is the Rusty Lee bed - on offer for £200 at mo I think.

After a good look round this is the one I reckon I'm going for, didn't know they had an offer on though, cheers :)

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Rusty Lee beds are the mutz nutz.

Fitted a few recently and really good bit if kit.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

If you are wanting to fit 3point belts the mounting points originally used by VW are ok, but can require some work. Make sure you use spreader plates on the back of mountings, but the points on the engine bulkhead are handy enough (but you need long arms to breach under the wheel arch across to the middle of the van. The point behind the panel in the rear is awkward if your rear panel doesn't come off easily. I have a reel fitted higher up as well so that there are 2 three point belts in the rear of my van. Needed a custom made belt but they are obtainable, its all a much better and stronger option than anything fitted to the seat frame.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

I've got one of those rickety autosleeper beds which are a faff. Already got three point belts fitted. Anyone know if this would be a straight swap?
Honorary "Dave" 

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

The only slight downside with some commercial beds is weight, and that includes the Rusty Lee. This may not matter to some but the ideal design would be one that combined strength with a reduction in unneeded heavy materials (in the same way that some cupboards have sides made of thick chipboard when in most cases ply would be a better solution. When you've lifted a few different types of beds in to fit them, theres quite a variation in weight from reasonable to outright heavy. A difficult compromise and one which some manufacturers don't take into account.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

paulandchez
80-90 Mem No: 12181

Post by paulandchez »

CovKid wrote:The one on ebay looks like a copy of my design. I can't see what sort of mounting points are used though. Best one is the Rusty Lee bed - on offer for £200 at mo I think.

Where abouts are they on offer at that price mate? I've been looking at the Vanwurks ones too. Are they comparable do you know?

Thanks
T25 Westfalia 2.0l Aircooled 1980 in a nice beige colour with a bit of antique steel thrown in

Les Shoes

Post by Les Shoes »

RogerT wrote:If you are wanting to fit 3point belts the mounting points originally used by VW are ok, but can require some work. Make sure you use spreader plates on the back of mountings, but the points on the engine bulkhead are handy enough (but you need long arms to breach under the wheel arch across to the middle of the van. The point behind the panel in the rear is awkward if your rear panel doesn't come off easily. I have a reel fitted higher up as well so that there are 2 three point belts in the rear of my van. Needed a custom made belt but they are obtainable, its all a much better and stronger option than anything fitted to the seat frame.

I don't have any panels to worry about at the mo, van is completely bare.
So you have both the rear belts mounted to the same side? And nothing on the other side? Any pictures?

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

No piccies at present, but can take some this weekend maybe. I am actually quite proud of it,,, :lol:

I also have a Sharan rear seat just behind the passenger seat, front or rear facing, with an integral lap belt, so have a van with a 3/4 rock and roll and seatbelts for 5. Dead proud of the Sharan seat fitting too!! Take it out when we get to campsite.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

Les Shoes

Post by Les Shoes »

RogerT wrote:No piccies at present, but can take some this weekend maybe. I am actually quite proud of it,,, :lol:

I also have a Sharan rear seat just behind the passenger seat, front or rear facing, with an integral lap belt, so have a van with a 3/4 rock and roll and seatbelts for 5. Dead proud of the Sharan seat fitting too!! Take it out when we get to campsite.

Take some pictures, show it off! :)