Cleaning Resealing and painting Westy pop top GRP

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncro4us
80-90 Mem No: 2677

Cleaning Resealing and painting Westy pop top GRP

Post by syncro4us »

hi guys
re Syncro Westphalia 1986
We seem to have a porous pop top that allows water in. Apparently when we cleaned the moss off the top we also opened up micro fissures in the resin so dampness accumulates in the bed upstairs which didn't happen before cleaning so it need re sealing
any one else done this and if so what did you use and what did you use to finish off with
so far I am looking at yatch paint primer and finisher by International Paints but it wont be cheap arounf £50
any suggestions
Kev

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Re: Cleaning Resealing and painting Westy pop top GRP

Post by Smcknighty »

What on earth did you use?? Who told you about the micro fissures? Are you sure it's not a bolt leak or a leak around the window? I'm going to use white rustoleum on mine to restore the colour

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Cleaning Resealing and painting Westy pop top GRP

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

As above. I doubt that you opened up micro-fissures - that would mean that the grp is toast. No way would cleaning allow moisture through unless you exposed the glass fibres and then you would see signs of blistering of the remaining gel coat. It would take a very long time for it to deteriorate to the extent of allowing moisture through. International Perfection two pack polyurethane is what I used for boat hulls but I don't think that you need it. Humidity and cold can mess up the curing.
Is the dampness concentrated in one area or just general?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶