Do I buy a MIG welder?

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Re: Do I buy a MIG welder?

Post by MGP »

Gas will always be better and easier, the problem people have with gas outside is that hobby welders use the 4mm od pipe and you cant get a decent volume of gas through it using a euro torch you just shield the area with your hand if its not too windy.

The clarke welders are well supported and spares are readily available also they are very easy to convert to the euro torch which makes them much easier to use.

I would recomend learning with a proper argon gas mix as that will get the best results on the thickness steel you will be using and give less splatter.
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Niesalm
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Niesalm »

Just my two cents...sorry for bumping....

ou will probably get many different opinions, but for me Miller seems to be one of the best MIGs out there. Hobart is the DIY line put out by Miller and if you look at the insides, very much the same stuff. A bit more money, but you get what you pay for. As the Hobarts are going to be $400+ and you are talking $125, I'm not sure I can help. I am in the same boat as you in that I don't weld much. But when I do, I want it to be a good quality weld. So I forked out the extra money knowing that this welder will be around for a LONG time and may even go to one of my kids.

As for gas or gasless, you can do things with the flux core wire, but the welds don't seem to be as clean and it is a bit more messy.

Don't stress the gas and renting the tank. They make very small tanks (which is all I use) so it doesn't take up much room. The cost isn't that much and the quality of the welds is MUCH MUCH better.
All the best: https://mechanicguides.com/best-cheap-welders-money/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

this thread is 3.5 years old :shock:
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks