Atlantic (factory?) sunroof leaking

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Atlantic (factory?) sunroof leaking

Post by nordberg »

Hi there,
Me again with another problem I'd like to rectify on my van. I am slowly working my way through the list of niggles on my van that I would like to sort out before the camping season starts in anger. Anyways, my van has a sunroof and its leaking. I'm not sure if it's factory fitted but the writing on the circular plastic knob that you wind to open the sunroof says HAPPICH (type GHEI) which appears to be German.

http://www.happich.de/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some months back I popped the glass out to clean the rubber seal hoping I could resolve the leak, but it is still an issue. Can anybody verify wether or not it's a factor roof and possibly point me in the direction of any spares for it?

Long shot I know.

Thanks

Andy
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Re: Atlantic (factory?) sunroof leaking

Post by greasemonkey »

Is it the sunroof in the pop top or in the main cab?

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

greasemonkey wrote:Is it the sunroof in the pop top or in the main cab?

Main cab. Already addressed the pop top skylight seal. That was leaking as well but this is the one in the main cab.
Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

Rosc0PColtrane
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rosc0PColtrane »

I have the same brand sunroof in my Dehler Profi High top. I've emailed Bristol Sunroof Centre for advice, but if any clever egg here has a suggestion, that would be awesome.

(Holy thread resurrection!!)

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

All factory fitted sunroofs leak a little, but they have internal gutter and drains built into the vehicle; the chances are that your drains are blocked and so what is passing the seal can't drain down the pillars and out at the bottom. Especially common when vans have been in body shop and filler dust has got in, driven in dusty conditions in summer etc.... There will be rubber one way valve grommets at floor level and you may be able to access the top and with a combination of rodding and compressed air be able to clean them out so they work again.
First thing I did when I got Edna home after buying it in Germany was poor water into the internal gutters to make sure it came out the bottom which it did, and I did the same after it had been in the body shop and had told them not to open the roof, the rear drain is fairly accessible on the big sunroof vans but the one through the B pillar isn't.
My Subaru had this problem as we have vast quantity of birch seed falling on the cars here all year and sometimes I leave the glass open to help ventilate and dry the car out, eventually water was unable to drain out and so was pouring out of the internal switch console and map light when ever I moved the vehicle, I had to partially disconnect the glass at the rear fixings so I could open it a bit more than usual to get at the drain holes and was able to blow out the drains with an air line, pretty messy but has helped, but if it wasn't for the engine being suitable for a conversion I wouldn't buy a car with a sunroof, after about 10 years they always have damp problems, you can see it on cold mornings, more condensation on the glass inside the vehicle than outside
There's information in Bentley manual and the parts diagram 125-40 which you will be able to find online shows the construction of the factory cab sunroof, I'm not sure what parts availability for them is like now, there may be some bits at Classic but likely to be eye wateringly expensive.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

just checked on classic they have the glass but not much else