Water leaks above tailgate

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Water leaks above tailgate

Post by CovKid »

And unfortunately not untypical. Many campers get scrapped for less corrosion than that, and even more are on borrowed time. Its the one thing next to actually cutting the mammoth hole that has put me off fitting a roof. :shock:

I do not need to look further on the rust first shown to know whats hiding up top. By the time it shows on the underside, the top has already been eaten away. Its the same with minor rust below the front windscreen seal. By the time it shows theres not much left under the seal.

I'm honestly not trying to be pessimstic but I've seen this so many times now, particularly with hard tops. You can painstaking weld new metal in (either well or badly) but the best solution when its as bad as latter pics is to weld on a new tin top and start again. Either way its a lot of work to correct.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

freckvan1
80-90 Mem No: 8492

Post by freckvan1 »

Morning Sam ,

If it's any help , do you have a curtains fitted ?

I found on the tailgate curtain the track was riveted and rivet tails
had come through outer skin .
Cleaned and covered lot with Sikaflex , stopped an admittedly small leak .

Have had van years and first time I've noticed this , another one on the " list to do " !

Blimey those photos look 'orrible , best of luck .
Atb,
Chris
1984 1,9DG. W/C

SamsBus2012
80-90 Mem No: 11455

Post by SamsBus2012 »

By way of a rather late update - no excuses other than just too busy and bad weather - work recommenced this weekend with the removal of the sealer at the junction of the roof to the body in the gutter - culprit found rather quickly!- At the rear corner of the gutter (just above the engine vent) large hole found behind the sealer - quick squirt of water from an old cleaner spray and yep - water dripping inside.

As I dont have the space here to get the roof off, a workshop or the finances to send it away, the next plan is to use a dremmel and cut away a section of the grp to see how bad it is...

Fingers crossed I'll be able to cut out the rot and weld in a repair section, then I will repair the grp and seal. If this works the intention is to repeat on the other side and over the tailgate. - probably not the best route to take but I just want to get the van back on the road for another summer. So update next weekend as things progress.
Tom (aka Matt)
1986 Hightop with 1.9dg 4spd. The boys call him "Magnus"

DavidPallister
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by DavidPallister »

you'll probably find a lot more rust than just in those 2 rear corners - check out some of MM's threads - I took my factory high roof off to tackle the rust, and found the whole section above the tailgate rotten, as well as other points all along the sides and front corners

it may not sound like it, but it is easier to pull the roof off and tackle it all in 1 go, plus you've got far more room to manoeuver a grinder and welder without worrying about setting light to the fibreglass

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

I know what you are saying is right, but when your only work space is the road outside, it is difficult to take the roof off and put it somewhere.
Anyway, i'll get the dremel out and open up the side to see how bad it is, then it may be a case of making it work for this year and then take stock at the end of the season. I'm not burying my head in the sand but I have to work within my limitations and cash flow.
Tom (aka Matt)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

for what its worth i would get a cutting disc on the angle grinder, (wear a mask) and remove the area shown . wouldnt try yo weld a patch in there as you will not get it water tight nor will you get all the local rot out ,just remove the crud and glass it and a double coat of seam sealer brushed over , then at some later date if you fancy you can easy remove it, oh and the roof you cut off will bond back in real neat with a bead of sikaflex or similar, also its a cheap and quiuck repair, also as you will be aware the rot will have extended far further than there :wink:

mm :ok

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Cheers for that MM. For now at least, I'm looking for that quick fix so I'll follow your suggestions.
Tom.
Tom (aka Matt)

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

Umm, Sam... That's below the level of where your water's coming from... (And it's coming from exactly the same place on our Westy hightop, too...)
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

AdrianC wrote:Umm, Sam... That's below the level of where your water's coming from... (And it's coming from exactly the same place on our Westy hightop, too...)
Well that's what i though too, however, when spraying with a mist from an old cleaner spray, the drips started immediately - curious i know. If I had put a hose on it then I might still be suspicious but a few pumps from the spary was enough to get the result. Anyway plan is to open up with the dremel and see what we can see - not going to make things any worse that's for sure. I'll post some more piccies of the undoubted horrors that await - deep breath!
Tom (aka Matt)

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

Ooooo if you lived nearer I would soon chop a hole in there for you, :D

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Early finish tomorrow afternoon so weather permitting....
Tom (aka Matt)

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

SamsBus2012 wrote:
AdrianC wrote:Umm, Sam... That's below the level of where your water's coming from... (And it's coming from exactly the same place on our Westy hightop, too...)
Well that's what i though too, however, when spraying with a mist from an old cleaner spray, the drips started immediately - curious i know.
Oh, I'm sure water is getting in through there.

I'm just suggesting that probably isn't the only crunchiness...
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SamsBus2012

Post by SamsBus2012 »

Ok so the operation begins; a couple of the minutes with the dremel reveals this:

Obviously whoever did the conversion had shares in sikaflex!
I think the black staining must be a result of capilary action from the gutter. It seems to clear about two thirds up the sealer.

An initial cut away of the sealer and a quick hack at the rot reveals this:

You can see where the capilary action has occured between the sealer and the original roof too with a line of rust clearly visible at it's leading edge.
Looking end on to the van, the hole is clearly higher than where it was manifesting inside so confident I've found at least one of the culprits.

So after a further 15mins or so scraping and slicing at the sealer (right bugger to get off so grateful for any tips) I've got to this:

Certainly better than I was expecting but before I get showered with doom and gloom, no I'm not going to think thats it, job done.
Plan is to patch this one, check for leeks, do same to the other side (though may cut away a slightly smaller section of grp) then do something similar above the tailgate. Long term, I may look at extending this ystem to the full perimiter but I guess that is somewhat dependent on how the roof is fixed down
Just deciding now whether to weld or fill. Your thoughts, gentlemen, will be welcome as ever.
Tom (aka Matt)

AdrianC

Post by AdrianC »

SamsBus2012 wrote:Just deciding now whether to weld or fill. Your thoughts, gentlemen, will be welcome as ever.

Cut back to solid metal, then (preferably) weld, but that's going to require a lot of stripping back to avoid fire risk, then cleaning back and painting. Given that it's not visible and not particularly structural, I don't see a great issue with a properly sealed rivetted patch.

But filler? Nope.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

Weld it - you've got good access there. Just cut the hole out into a rectangle shape with the dremel or grinder, make a cardboard template from a bit of a ceral packet, trace it onto a bit of 1mm metal, cut it out with tin snips and then weld it in.
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop