Window keeps dropping!!

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Window keeps dropping!!

Post by Al Housman »

A bit random I know, but infuriating. My drivers side (lhd) window keeps dropping . There must be a clip missing from the square shaped plate that moves along the cable to raise and lower the window. Also there must have been some nylon bushes for the runners which are also missing.

Not the end of the world it is beginning to get chilly out there!

1990 Doka

Does anybody have any tips please?

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Re: Window keeps dropping!!

Post by discipleofsketch »

I had that, mine was caused by a worn nylon part slipping out. I bought a new (non-oem) regulator from vw heritage (£22) and it took about an evening to fit. Old one came out easy enough, but getting the new one into the door cavity and everything lined up was tricky - certainly wasn't a perfect fit.

My top tip I'd to use bungee cords hooked over the top of the door to keep the window up while you are fixing/ fitting a new mechanism.
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Post by Al Housman »

Thanks for the tip.

I've had to reassemble it a few times and found that removing the various 10mm bolts helps a lot.

I wasn't sure who might have parts so cheers for that

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

should have a mechanism here Al :D

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

oh, while we are on the subject, I would recommend not getting the non-oem mechanism form VW heritage for another reason - the rubber guide that the extended cable is supposed to follow when the window is.. err.. up.. or down (can't remember which), was made of too soft a material and was kinked, so it just popped off when the cable tried to push through. I ended up snipping it off before the kink and sleeving it with a bit of garden hose to make it work without snagging.

I then had to find a new bit of hose for my sink waste pipe outlet, and now my actual garden hose is slightly shorter...

So if you can source a good original secondhand mech, i'd go with that :)
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion