D-pillar air vents/rain collectors

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: D-pillar air vents/rain collectors

Post by CovKid »

the biggest cause is rain dripping off the end of the gutter and into the vent. What a few seem to have done is simply attach a small cable-tie to the top slot in such a position that as the water runs down, it is directed away from the vent. It does seem to work.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

The OP suggested that the vent louvres were angled the 'wrong' way and directed water inside. This may be the case but consider why VW chose to make them that way.

Could it be that they act as an initial 'filter' for the air entering? Think about any van you've seen which has done a long drive on wet winter roads. There is always a spread of dirt from the front wheel arches, along the lower sides and up to the top rear corner.

If the louvres were the other way up, that dirty air would be funnelled straight in - into the engine air intake or the engine bay at the very least. By making the air have to execute a tight 180* turn to go down there means there is a chance that any wet and debris will be thrown out of the air stream.

That's my theory, anyway.
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

garyd wrote:The OP suggested that the vent louvres were angled the 'wrong' way and directed water inside. This may be the case but consider why VW chose to make them that way.

Could it be that they act as an initial 'filter' for the air entering? Think about any van you've seen which has done a long drive on wet winter roads. There is always a spread of dirt from the front wheel arches, along the lower sides and up to the top rear corner.

If the louvres were the other way up, that dirty air would be funnelled straight in - into the engine air intake or the engine bay at the very least. By making the air have to execute a tight 180* turn to go down there means there is a chance that any wet and debris will be thrown out of the air stream.

That's my theory, anyway.
there is some good info on the samba, with air pressure measurements taken with and without the louvres. Basically there is less airflow with them removed
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Cyrus
80-90 Mem No: 9165

Post by Cyrus »

Good point there. They could be cleverly designed to create low air pressure ( like a wing on a plane) to suck air out at speed helping to cool the engine and gearbox.
But then again "I know nothing...."

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I'm with you 100%. I still say the rear vents serve little or no purpose in terms of directing air in - other than perhaps with Aircooled engines where it would have made a difference. However, they seem to let a lot of hot air (and fumes) out of the engine bay after a run though - have a sniff and you'll see what I mean.

Do remember, the T25 was fitted with Aircooled lumps in the first three years and I'd suggest these vents were a remnant from the bay which also had rear vents - and Aircooled engines. Once the watercooled engine came in with its own radiator (and fan to cool said radiator) these vents were not as important - if at all. It wouldn't have been worth the re-tooling to alter that panel and they certainly let fumes out, so they left it as it was.

The real test would be to do some trial tests with vents covered on a watercooled and see if it makes any difference to engine temperature. I suspect it will be almost neglible, As a vent-out yes.

I doubt there is anyone at VW who could give a definitive answer now but the above seems plausible.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

faggie

Post by faggie »

I have the big scoops to allow more airflow into engine I get no drips but were pricey I also have a set of home made scoops only cost me a £10, of if you want even cheaper just silicon a plastic drink straw to gutter only needs to be a couple of inches past gutter then again no drip noise

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I went out in the rain the other evening to follow up on some of the suggestions, and you're quite right - it's not the vent vanes themselves that catch the rain, it's the run-off from the end of the gutter trickling down the D-pillar and into the gap between the panel and the plastic vent at about the third or fourth vane from the bottom. Coincidentally that's exactly where there's a spacer cast into the outside of the plastic vent, so the water gets pulled onto the vent at that point.

So the key to fixing it seems to be redirecting the gutter run-off, or parking nose down so that the water runs off the front of the gutter instead.
"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Found them!

http://www.bullihutzen.de/index.php?opt ... 8&Itemid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

frankb25
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by frankb25 »

I put a magnetic strip (coloured) on each side to track the water from the end of the gutter past the air intake opening. Stays in place yet easily moved for cleaning etc. Plenty of it on ebay.
1981 2.0 a/c

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

frankb25 wrote:I put a magnetic strip (coloured) on each side to track the water from the end of the gutter past the air intake opening. Stays in place yet easily moved for cleaning etc. Plenty of it on ebay.

I did the same in the end, after seeing it on somebody else's van. I took mine from the magnetic door seal in an old fridge. Even without painting it to match the van it doesn't look bad.

"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ

jack-d
80-90 Mem No: 12231

Post by jack-d »

Great tip, the rain dripping was driving me crazy when trying to sleep.

will try some clear stone guard vinyl hopefully will be thick enough to divert the flow of water.
Image T25 1990 2.1DJ Viper Green Caravelle, converted to Camper

GrahamL
80-90 Mem No: 12887

Post by GrahamL »

Hi,
Has anyone been successful in purchasing and installed the D pillar / air vent extensions from this company?

http://www.bullihutzen.de/index.php?opt ... 8&Itemid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-5 Aero Sportswagon

faggie

Post by faggie »

just make your own mine cost less than a tenner for the pair

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Ive had email contact with him, apparently another batch is being done.. Ive been waiting around 8 months now.

faggie, any pics of what you made?
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

GrahamL
80-90 Mem No: 12887

Post by GrahamL »

Hi,
Due to the site being in German; I 've had ago at sending an e-mail last week, but unsure if I had asked correctly the correct questions about installation,purchasing and UK delivery of a pair!!!!!!!!

Regards
Graham
Atlantic Hightop,1.6td
Saab 96 two stroke
Saab 99 GL
Saab 9-3
Saab 9-5 Aero Sportswagon