Started to machine polish the old girl

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Started to machine polish the old girl

Post by 300CE »

Had a quick go a machine polishing the van this afternoon. Just washed it and was about to give it a hand wax, but as the sun was out i thought why not. It's usually a day or two's work to do it properly so only got half of the van done on one side, but pleased with the results so far as it took out a few of the swirls and scratches and brought the paint to life a bit more.

Once i've got the whole van done, i'll probably go over and re-do the bits that need more work. I used a Kestral DAS-6 Dual Action Polisher with Poorboys SSR 2.5 cut polish - i also used this on the plastic windows. It's important to note that machine polishing takes a very small layer of paint off so you need to ensure that the van is waxed and sealed afterwards as there's no protection. I used two coats of Dodo Juice Blue Velvet wax afterwards to bring out the colour in the paintwork - i'll probably seal this with some Nanolex Nanowax through the week when i hope to do some more.

'86 DG, Weber Carb

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Re: Started to machine polish the old girl

Post by scottbott »

I have a meguiars DA polisher it does a great job and it is suprising how little wax is used when waxing the van and how easy to polish it off with a microfibre cloth,spend more time taping the rubber seals off
Nil carborundum illegitimi

300CE

Post by 300CE »

Makes a big difference doesn't it Scott, its well worth claying it beforehand as well. To be honest, I need to use a harsher cutting compound on some of the areas & have some menzerna which I'll use for that. I'm pretty sure the meguiars DA is the same as the Kestrel as well.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

bluedirtydigit
80-90 Mem No: 12603

Post by bluedirtydigit »

Looks great!!! remind me not to drive through Sidcup you will show mine up. :D :ok
VW T25,, Viking pop top 1.9 Volvo v70 estate, 1300 vw beetle trike, FJ1200 motorcycle.

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Post by scottbott »

yes your van looks great,nice and straight
Nil carborundum illegitimi

300CE

Post by 300CE »

OK, did some more on the van today, still need to do the roof but that can wait for the time being. I would've liked a bit more time to go over parts where more work is required, but the pad on the polisher literally disintegrated and went for a fly just as i finished the last panel. Took the van for a quick spin and took a few pics:

I know i haven't taken any pics of the actual process itself, but if anyone wants advice please feel free to give me a holler. The pics do make certain parts of the van look better than they are and ideally i'd like to get some bodywork completed in the next 18 months or so, however, she certainly looks a lot more presentable. She's been cleaned and treated with Dynax S50 where possible and this should keep the old tin worm at bay with regular top up's and cleaning.
'86 DG, Weber Carb

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Post by badgerfax »

Very nice :ok
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

Superal
80-90 Mem No: 12142

Post by Superal »

Looks great! :ok
2.1 DJ petrol Homebrew hightop

300CE

Post by 300CE »

badgerfax wrote:Very nice :ok

Superal wrote:Looks great! :ok

Cheers All! :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

nutbox
80-90 Mem No: 11815

Post by nutbox »

Hi,
The van is looking great ,love the colour suits it well,just one question just wondering how well the fridge works with out 2 big vents in the side ,does it cool things well?
Just asking because I am looking to fit a fridge but don't really want to put 2 great big holes in my van.
Cheers dazz
1983 ,2.0l Aircooled ,home brew hightop camper.

300CE

Post by 300CE »

nutbox wrote:Hi,
The van is looking great ,love the colour suits it well,just one question just wondering how well the fridge works with out 2 big vents in the side ,does it cool things well?
Just asking because I am looking to fit a fridge but don't really want to put 2 great big holes in my van.
Cheers dazz

Cheers Dazz! Tis one of those colours that you either love or hate! Had a few people say they really like it but others that say they don't or that it doesn't suit the age of the van. I like things that are a little different to the norm which is probably why it caught my eye :D

With regards to the fridge, i'll be honest in that i haven't actually used it yet, however, when i had the interior done it was all tested and is working so i presume that is has been used in the past. Might be worth putting up a thread in the Electrical & Instrumentation section as i'm sure one of the guru's will be able to advise - feel free to use my picture as a pointer :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Johnt25
80-90 Mem No: 12687

Post by Johnt25 »

Your van does look amazing 300 - can I ask what you clean your double glazed windows with? We've just picked up a Westy and the windows are quite dull (years of fine scratches I guess...), was wondering if there's something that can polish/flat/cut back to a shiny view! Thanks in advance for any advice :)

All the best,

John
'85 Westy pop-top 1.6TD

"You are only young once, but you can be immature forever."

300CE

Post by 300CE »

Johnt25 wrote:Your van does look amazing 300 - can I ask what you clean your double glazed windows with? We've just picked up a Westy and the windows are quite dull (years of fine scratches I guess...), was wondering if there's something that can polish/flat/cut back to a shiny view! Thanks in advance for any advice :)

All the best,

John

Many Thanks John - the pictures do make it look a lot better than she is as you can't really see the blemishes where work is required, but that said she certainly is much more presentable.

With regards to the double glazed windows, i machine polished these as well using a very fine cut polish. As an alternative, i believe some chaps have used good old Brasso with really good results:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... s#p7853522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 DG, Weber Carb

Johnt25
80-90 Mem No: 12687

Post by Johnt25 »

300CE wrote:Many Thanks John - the pictures do make it look a lot better than she is as you can't really see the blemishes where work is required, but that said she certainly is much more presentable.

With regards to the double glazed windows, i machine polished these as well using a very fine cut polish. As an alternative, i believe some chaps have used good old Brasso with really good results:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... s#p7853522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for reply and link 300, I'll get the Brasso 'n polish out...... and try it on a window I don't look out of very often :wink:

John
'85 Westy pop-top 1.6TD

"You are only young once, but you can be immature forever."

MattBW
80-90 Mem No: 11790

Post by MattBW »

Thats lovely :D
1985 1.9TD AAZ -Starlight Interior
2015 California Beach