Seatbelt solutions

Thin bits of metal and bright blue light. Including glass & trim.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stevelane
80-90 Mem No: 0

Seatbelt solutions

Post by stevelane »

I cant be the only owner of a T25 with three young children so I was wondering how you fit them in and where you add three point belts?
1984 T25 Devon Moonraker - Tatty but love it

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

Re: Seatbelt solutions

Post by Jonnyb416 »

There is loads of info and pictures on here of what people have done, use the search function. Basically contact a company to do it for you as some will or look on the Brickwerks website as they sell kits and either weld/fit yourself of get a welder in to do to for you. I will send you some pictures of mine if it helps.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

Jonnyb416 wrote:There is loads of info and pictures on here of what people have done, use the search function. Basically contact a company to do it for you as some will or look on the Brickwerks website as they sell kits and either weld/fit yourself of get a welder in to do to for you. I will send you some pictures of mine if it helps.

Please do - I know it can be done but was hoping to see as many pics to see the options

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/t ... belts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look here....
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

You can see here the place where the seatbelt stalk is fixed to. Next to that 2 other spreader plates were welded in; one on the inner skin and the other one about 2 feet from the seatbelt stalk on the bulkhead. The reason there are 2 (only used one of them) was because the welder suggested using the bulkhead as that had more strength than the inner skin. This is for the lower seatbelt mount.

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

Appreciate that. What I was looking for is an idea of how to rearrange the interior as at the moment I only have the two front seats and the rock and roll bed so even if I have belts added to that I still have either one child or the mrs left out in the cold (it would be difficult to chose which one :P )

Jonnyb416

Post by Jonnyb416 »

It is possible to fit 3 lots of 3 point seatbelts to a full width rock n roll bed.

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

But mine isn't full width so I was looking for other options, eg bench seat in the front, extra seat

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Hi Steve lane,
I had the same problem, and also owning a Sharan I came up with this solution.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... t#p8083451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See about halfway down the page. Can't mnd if I put photos in but if you look at my other posts you'll see some flickr links. Having a mid mounted passenger also helps the front people communicate over the racket of the diesel with those in the rear :lol:
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

bluebus1987
80-90 Mem No: 15052

Post by bluebus1987 »

If you don't have a full width bed/seat I think you may be looking at an extra seat/s.
Caravelles have a double or triple seat that slides onto rails bolted through the floor.This will give an additional three point option and a lap belt. If a Caravelle double seat wont fit with your furniture a rarer T3 single seat could be fitted or something from another vehicle, but you will need the mounting hardware. T4s use what are described as mushroom bolts that the seats lock on to. I've looked at various alternatives and seats with integrated belts look good to me as once mounted to the floor the belts are taken care of.
If you do have a full width seat then you still have the problem of getting a three point belt in the middle. Some have mounted two belts coming from one side but I dont like the look of that myself. the belts cross the shoulder of the middle child at quite an angle. I've found the two three point caravelle belts in mine bad enough as it is. Have a good search on the subject because others have gone for a high mounted reel fixed to the frame above the rear screen like many modern cars. This is the option I'll go for I think if I ever get ours back on the road. We had twins two years after our eldest and I know only too well that you can't get three decent child seats on the back seat of pretty much any car, even our T4!

bluebus1987

Post by bluebus1987 »

Pipped to the post there.

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

Appreciate the advice guys, still a bit lost to be honest. Are those double seats a intended replacement for the single passenger seat upfront?

bluebus1987

Post by bluebus1987 »

Double cab seat in the front as in panel van/ commercial vehicle, double seat in the middle between cab and bed as in caravelle/minibus if that makes any sense.

stevelane

Post by stevelane »

bluebus1987 wrote:Double cab seat in the front as in panel van/ commercial vehicle, double seat in the middle between cab and bed as in caravelle/minibus if that makes any sense.

The double cab seat makes sense and so far the best option. The double seat behind the cab would take up the only space I have left so would become a mini bus rather than a camper

bluebus1987

Post by bluebus1987 »

Yeah, but the seat in the middle is easily removable. The caravelle bench is a bit on the heavy side, but something a bit more modern usualy folds and doubles as a table, and clips in and out in seconds. If its put on the sliding door side you still maintain the walk through from the front. whip it out while camping and you have a very comfy camp chair! also one less seat belt to fit if you go for an integral belt.