DJ engine swap in Brizzle area in next 10 days SORTED

Big lumps of metals and spanners.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

DJ engine swap in Brizzle area in next 10 days SORTED

Post by syncropatrick »

Well, the advice from Baxter in Feb 2010 that my engine was on the way out finally caught up with me at Syncro Coast to Coast 2011. I'm loosing 1l of coolant very 100kms from the top back right corner plus it started belching first white smoke then blue smoke from the exhaust after steep hill climbs and hard acceleration. The seasoned eyes of Dai, Pickles and Neil found oil leaking from the right hand cylinder head(s).

I'd just bought a known running engine as a spare to do a leisurely refurb and swap. Now I have to do the swap within the next 10 days so I'm ready for Eire, departing Brizzle Thursday 9th June evening. Spare engine has to go in whether its refurbed or not.

Can't do the swap myself as no time off from employment. Been told it'd take 1.5-2 days for a garage to swap. The broken engine has new stainless steel exhaust so studs are good and engine was out Feb 2010 so should come out easily. Replacement engine as steel exhaust still attached and probably knackered studs, so they'll probably need working on so the good stainless exhaust can be put on.

What do I need to ask from the garage? I think:-
-engine swap.
-fit existing LPG system to new engine.
-keep the exhaust thats on the vehicle.
-service the incoming engine.
sort coolant leak.
replace all flexi coolant hoses.
tune up for LPG and petrol 98, favouring LPG.
what else?
Can anyone recommend a T25 friendly garage in Brizzle area, before I start phone bashing? I've already got Autocam Clevedon on my list.
Last edited by syncropatrick on 31 May 2011, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Re: DJ engine swap in Brizzle area in next 10 days

Post by syncropatrick »

I think I'm sorted now. Thanks for looking.
regards
Patrick
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

Rich Tea
80-90 Mem No: 8190

Re: DJ engine swap in Brizzle area in next 10 days SORTED

Post by Rich Tea »

Hello Patrick,

Looks like it's too late now, but might be useful for the future, have you tried Moores in Clevedon. They seem to just do VW campers, mostly T25s. The bloke that runs it seems ok, did a good job on my upper wishbone bushes.

Cheers

Rich
1987 1900cc DG