PAS Steering Rack Bushes

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

PAS Steering Rack Bushes

Post by maxstu »

For testing a newly mounted steering coupling, l ask Maxine to turn steering lock to lock. All good.

Staying under camper l checked other steering/suspension components and noticed a bit of movement in the racks' four bushes. Being PAS is this normal? The movement was quite noticeable.

Secondly, if in need of replacement are these bushes easy to replace on a PAS rack? Ive done non PAS before and found it straightforward. I did use Powerflex though..

Im not an advocate of Powerflex and never did notice any benefit in the ride or handling despite laying loads of cash for many Powerflex bushes. But recognise they are much easier to fit in many cases.

So l would prefer to refit standard bushes. Mostly to save money. But refit will be with rack in situ.

Am l heading for a world of pain going standard (£20) trying to refit under camper. Or should l go Powerflex (£45) for easy fitting?

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: PAS Steering Rack Bushes

Post by ZsZ »

The mounts are the same so same job to change them
The summary of all topics of the last 10 yrs about powerflex bushes is the most result you can achieve by changing steering rack ones.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

ZsZ wrote:The mounts are the same so same job to change them
The summary of all topics of the last 10 yrs about powerflex bushes is the most result you can achieve by changing steering rack ones.

Hello Zoltan,
Thanks for reply. Yet if one turned steering lock to lock in a non PAS van would standard bushes show horizontal flexing? Im seeing about 3-5 mm each way movement! The resistance caused by wheels on ground is huge. Yet not picked up by MOT tester when raised aloft.

To my first camper l added 15" merc wheels with heavy duty commercial tyres. These wheels and tyres transformed handling enormously. Later adding powerflex was hardly noticeable.

Furthermore, when changing bushes on non PAS the rack was fairly easy to push away from mount points. Then lever back in place.
With PAS it looks like there is very little movement to push rack away from the four mount points. Pressing in original bushes looks very difficult. Especially without camper raised.

Time is on my side. So will release rack and see how much room there is to play about.

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

I'd always just assumed that movement in the bushes is intentional, and desirable. That's why theyre rubber right? Absorbing shock through the steering rack to protect it and increasing 'comfort'. Otherwise it'd just be bolted straight in right?
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

:ok
slowcoach wrote:I'd always just assumed that movement in the bushes is intentional, and desirable. That's why theyre rubber right? Absorbing shock through the steering rack to protect it and increasing 'comfort'. Otherwise it'd just be bolted straight in right?

A very good point slowcoach.
I wish l could add a video clip. Not sure how to though.
MaxStu

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

slowcoach wrote:I'd always just assumed that movement in the bushes is intentional, and desirable. That's why theyre rubber right? Absorbing shock through the steering rack to protect it and increasing 'comfort'. Otherwise it'd just be bolted straight in right?

Yes, but those original rubbers can soften up with time. And they not help going straight in hard crosswinds.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

As a cheap trick to improve feel then turn the bushes 90° in the hole so the cut outs are at the top and bottom rather than at the sides.
The rubber is particularly soft from new.
If you enjoy the driving a bus feel, constantly correcting your trajectory then rubber is fine, as you say, there for a reason as the cut outs are but if you want to give your arms a rest on the motorway and make life easier in sidewinds then it's Poly all day, horses for courses.
:)
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Simon Baxter wrote:As a cheap trick to improve feel then turn the bushes 90° in the hole so the cut outs are at the top and bottom rather than at the sides.
The rubber is particularly soft from new.
If you enjoy the driving a bus feel, constantly correcting your trajectory then rubber is fine, as you say, there for a reason as the cut outs are but if you want to give your arms a rest on the motorway and make life easier in sidewinds then it's Poly all day, horses for courses.
:)

Get some in stock then! :lol: Ive been waiting for my email prompt saying Poly back in stock.
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

Simon Baxter
Trader

Post by Simon Baxter »

We've never stocked rubber. Can't see us stocking any time soon, to me they are pointless! :lol:
Powerflex are having a few staffing issues at the moment, their factory is properly cramped, everyone on top of each other, not the best place to be during "this".
We're ordering decent amounts but we just can't seem to catch up and keep it in stock at the moment plus longer lead times, basically, jump on it when you can.
We've also got a few traders that just come and wipe our stock out too as Powerflex have asked that during "this" that vendors should only sell parts that they actually have in stock, a big problem with Powerfelx is that there are a lot of chancers selling their stuff and they only order it when they make a sale.
Would poly rack bushes but made from a softer material be interesting to anyone? I can always get a set made in yellow or red which are softer than the purple.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Post by Dobble »

Are the PAS rack bushes the same as non PAS?
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Dobble wrote:Are the PAS rack bushes the same as non PAS?

Haven't seen different listings for non PAS/ with PAS from any supplier, Ben. Reckon they are same product.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Simon Baxter wrote:We've never stocked rubber.
Would poly rack bushes but made from a softer material be interesting to anyone? I can always get a set made in yellow or red which are softer than the purple.

All l want is an easy to fit alternative to the original bushes giving good results. Not worried about colour. And they cannot be worse than the bushes in rack now. Engine running, moving PAS lock to lock produces a lot of side movement in the present bushes. Not sure they should move 3-5mm each way?

Also, is it more difficult to fit new bushes to a PAS steering rack? I did a non PAS some years ago and it was fairly easy. Once four bolts removed the rack pulled forward a little, and pushed out old bushes easily. Then in with new purple powerflex. However, the PAS rack looks bulkier and much more attached to it. So, is it the same procedure with PAS?

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Post by Dobble »

I've got a brand new set of purple powerflex bushes that I'm not going to use Stuart. I bought them when I was buying all the bushes for the front end of my van but found they had already been done. I'm happy to hold onto them for the other van but if you can't get hold of any your welcome to buy them off me if it helps you out?
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Sent you a PM Ben :ok
MaxStu

Simon Baxter
Trader

Post by Simon Baxter »

Rack bushes same for all models.
There is a lot of lateral movement due to the flats on the Bush, like I say, if you're stuck and want to get it through the test then turn them 90 degrees so the flats are top and bottom.
The colour of the powerflex bushes denotes their shore rating, their hardness. Softest to hardest is red, yellow, purple, black. The heritage range is supposedly grey and the shore is matched to what powerflex deem as standard which is purple.
The pas vans are a little more difficult as the rack moves away from the chassis less when unbolted but still doable in situ. It'll be easier if you have flexy PAS pipes.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks