Play in rear wheel bearings - MOT

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Play in rear wheel bearings - MOT

Post by Mr Bean »

I have always been able to detect a small amount of play in rear wheel bearings and although it doesn't seem to have worsened I have finally failed an MOT on it together with a few more easily doable stuff.

I did have to change the obviously noisy and failing o/s rear several years ago and even afterwards did still detect a small amount of play on the brand new bearing/s which I put down to an accumulation of tolerances together with the magnifying effect of the radius of the wheel and tire.

I would obviously not in any case wish to proceed at risk of catastrophic failure or steering difficulties but seem to remember reading that a small amount of play was almost inevitable due to design of the hub Assembly. The play is more or less equal on both the replaced and what could be the original side.

I am just wondering if anyone else has been so afflicted and whether any relevant documentation/recommendation is/are available on the subject.

PS Yes I did use the calibrated scaffold pole/13Kg human so as to achieve the correct torque setting :ok

E D I T :!:
Sorry folks Second time checking Search got me a load of related quotes. "Please do try to concentrate young Master Bean"
Anyway I did find some stuff from Aidan and Mocki about C3 bearings and the allowance for expansion when heating up.
A quiet word on the side fixed that but I guess less enlightened owners regularly get lumbered with unnecessary expense and post MOT depression.
They had me going for a moment. :roll:
Last edited by Mr Bean on 02 Mar 2020, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Play in rear wheel bearings - MOT

Post by Mocki »

there should be and will always be "play" because the bearing and shaft design, and any MOT man who argues this is WRONG!!
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Swebby
80-90 Mem No: 16589

Post by Swebby »

The MOT man noted it to me (but not as an advisory) on the last MOT and I had only just had the bearings replaced on the NSR. Have had to replace the bearings again this year due to crap quality I imagine, so will be interesting to see if it mentioned this time.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
1987 1.9 DG pop-top

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

See my grovelling E D I T on my post :oops:
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX