Dizzy external spark against pipe

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

burnzdog
80-90 Mem No: 0

Dizzy external spark against pipe

Post by burnzdog »

Hi all,

2.1 DJ petrol

Slightly odd one and need some help to understand. Yesterday I started my van up and it sounded terrible and felt like it was misfiring. Had been running up to this point (Well no issues with engine) when I look at the engine I could see the air pressure regulator tube which sits just off the distributor was touching the edge of one of the HT leads, causing a spark and in tern making it misfire. The tube that comes of the regulator as you can see is very close to the distributor so Im not surprised its manged to touch the distributor. What I am not sure about is why it decided to arc against a rubber tube?!

Is there a bigger problem here or would this be expected if a cable physically touched the HT lead?

Thanks
diz
diz
IMG_20191117_105853912.gif (109.97 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Dizzy external spark against pipe

Post by Aidan »

sounds like the insulation on the lead has broken down

the Beru leads made wherever they are but not in Germany are shocking (no pun intended) quality

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Cecil »

The rubber tube will have some dampness on it this time of the year . Rubber hose then becomes a conductor in the eyes of thousands of volts from the ignition system.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Both the above apply I'm sure.
Nothing strange. New bit of tube from ?? and maybe new HT lead but more air between them important
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Just browsing posts in a rare moment of inactivity and having recently experienced a similar problem, It occurred to me that this kind of breakdown could result from a non connected lead laying in close proximity to a grounded part to provide a conductive path via/through a weak point in the insulation for the extremely high voltage. Damp conditions could exacerbate (spellchecker caution) this situation.
We all know though, that powering ignition with HT leads disconnected can cause damage to ignition systems.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX