Fitted gearbox now need gearbox reconditioning

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

damongrounsell
80-90 Mem No: 6973

Fitted gearbox now need gearbox reconditioning

Post by damongrounsell »

Hi I've replaced my gearbox with a ALD unit secondhand from synchronuts near Glasgow, the gearbox works but the ALD is a very different beast to the 3H it replaced, the gear ratios on the RJES website are wrong
https://rjes.com/html/gearbox_types.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; be warned

final drive is 0.85 and not 0.78
and now at 60 the van feels like it's going to blow up. It screams like a banshee, well 3600 revs at 60, so I need to get my 3H unit reconditioned and then sell on the ALD. Previously I thought I could get my ratios back on bigger wheels.

So where can I get the gearbox rebuilt? I'd love Aidan to do it but alas Aidan seems incognito at the moment, fair enough, but what are the other options for reconditioning the box? the Engine shop has varied reviews, Bugshack? any other?
BTW the 5th on the 3H was popping out under load, otherwise, it felt fine, ironically 4 on the 3H is very similar to 4th on the ALD. Haven't really gained much by switching the Box except that now I have a gearbox to work in the van whilst the other gets reconned.

pkrboo
80-90 Mem No: 17060

Re: Fitted gearbox now need gearbox reconditioning

Post by pkrboo »

Aidan can do it, message him

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

Haro1972
80-90 Mem No: 15757

Re: Fitted gearbox now need gearbox reconditioning

Post by Haro1972 »

Try John Walklett at Classic VW transmissions you'll find him on facebook he rebuilt mine for a good price. :ok
Westfalia(1990) lhd 1Y