advancing JX diesel injector timing

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncro garry
80-90 Mem No: 10376

advancing JX diesel injector timing

Post by syncro garry »

My JX engine was the sweetest runner I have known.
I had my cylinder head replaced because of a crack ( JX cylinder heads are only good for about 150k miles).
I had new (reconditioned) injectors & new glow plugs.
The mechanic told me that the injection timing was not standard & that it had now been reset to ‘factory settings’.

Since then it has been underpowered & I have to use the cold start injector advance all the time ( I never had to use this until -10C with the old head).
It’s much slower to start from cold with what sounds like running on 3 cylinders until reving the engine to get it going (more white smoke than before).
Once under load she runs normally with no smoke
I have now checked the valve timing, injection pump timing (it is factory at 0.9mm)

Having done some homework I am wondering if I need to advance the injection timing or if the injectors need testing.

I am now living in Canada where winter starting can be below -30C.
I have fitted an engine block heater & this makes starting much better but still underpowered (&yes I have tested the glow plugs)

If you have had any experience of advancing injector timing I would appreciate your advice.
Garry

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Re: advancing JX diesel injector timing

Post by Simon Baxter »

Normal setting everyone seems to use to account for a bit of wear is 1mm of lift @ TDC.
Replacing the head without measuring piston protrusion and just fitting a 3 Notch head gasket will also result in poor starting and performance.
So many things it could be, you'll just have to work through it.
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/the-d ... 33228.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

syncro garry
80-90 Mem No: 10376

Re: advancing JX diesel injector timing

Post by syncro garry »

Thanks for the link & info
I will bring the pump up to 1mm before the weekend & see what happens
Cheers
Garry