My 1.6 td JX needs 1 litre of oil every 300 km / 200 mi

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Franciscus
80-90 Mem No: 0

My 1.6 td JX needs 1 litre of oil every 300 km / 200 mi

Post by Franciscus »

Hi Guys.

Using mineral oil. I have abused the engine now and then in the past - such as filling an tank with 30% petrol / 70% diesel and running on half of it before refilling. I've a few times overfilled oil and drove with a smoking car until it burnt off...

I had the same problem with my previous newly-bought Syncro, and the problem exponentially worsened until blue smoke came out and I had to add oil every 100 km or lose oil pressure. It happened on my way to Berndt Jaeger (top German Syncro expert) who said: "The engine can't be saved" and I purchased a hardly-ever-used Syncro from him.

Not that much later and the same issue is reoccurring with that magnificent car: ENORMOUS oil burn. Very smokey starts and I often have to add TWO liters of oil when I forgot to add a bottle at the last refill. I now carry half a dozen bottles in the passenger footwell.

Have I ruined the engine by having driving too fast at times, downhill on the Autobahn with the wind in my back? (115 to peaks of 125 km/h (71 to 77 mph), in spite of Berndt's stern warning "Always drive nicely 100 km/h (62 mph).

Are the cylinder walls terminally scraped out? Or is is a bad valve stem seal issue? Piston rings stuck/deformed/bad/contaminated? Have I let the JX be ruined by not adding/replacing the oil often enough and hence caused an exponential weardown due to increased metal particle grind?

BTW the engine has a brand new head gasket.

Can the JX be saved? How stupid, on an exponential scale of 1 to 10, have I been? How many miles does the engine have left before it dies, like the previous one that died the same way?