too smokey and poor tickover for mot

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

stillcool67

too smokey and poor tickover for mot

Post by stillcool67 »

hi everybody anybody ? i have a t25 86 watercooled originaly , now old Aircooled engine .. i needed mot a couple of weeks ago .still do !!! ive only done 40 miles since last mot , but he told me this time he didnt want to risk his mot licence ,, because this year its to smokey ( light whitey smoke )and wont tick over as sweet as it did on last mot, all ive had done is a another gearbox fitted , of same model .. ive replaced the plugs for tripples ngk bp6et hope thats ok and changed oil for 10w/40 says ok for cool climates in watercooled book .. does anybody have any ideas what i can do next dissy ok , dont think its the model that has points , theres a pic of my plug ive taken out .. need to sort smoke , and need tickover for mot now .....

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Re: too smokey and poor tickover for mot

Post by T25Convert »

If you’ve only done 40 miles i’d make sure the petrol was fresh and give it an ‘Italian tune’ - I.e plenty of revs and a high speed run to give it a clear out first....
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

I would suspect stale fuel too

stillcool67

Post by stillcool67 »

ANYBODY ELSE ON HERE GOT ANY IDEAS ? ABOUT MY VANS RECENT PROBLEM FOR MOT .

Fugeh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Fugeh »

Did you try the above? Did it have any effect?
88 Autosleeper Trident 1.9
Hythe, Kent.

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

stillcool67 wrote:ANYBODY ELSE ON HERE GOT ANY IDEAS ? ABOUT MY VANS RECENT PROBLEM FOR MOT .

So what have you done so far? You have two suggestions of stale fuel - have you confirmed it is fresh?

stillcool67

Post by stillcool67 »

ive changed oil to 10w.40 synth, and used red x ed petrol up . up and down road , no mot , cant go far , replaced with 2 clean gallon ,,changed plugs for 3 prong ones plus air filter ,, doesnt really want to tick over . makes little popping /farting sounds out of poor exhaust ,, nothing happened thats suitable for mot happened yet ,,, still smokey on revups outside door . and just wont tick over happy .. all this kinda started when i had another gearbox fitted 3 months ago , the engine had to come out , the machanic seemed to do all well as i helped him ,, so still not suitable for mot ... yet ,, hellllllp anyone . :(

T25Convert

Post by T25Convert »

Right, lets start from the beginning.

What 'old Aircooled' engine does it have in it?

You've done plugs and given it fresh fuel, is timing ok and valve clearances checked?

You had a gearbox change, was the engine fine before this? Likewise, before the oil change was it okay?

Persistent white smoke suggests oil burning. If engines been out and manhandled it may just be oil has got where oil should not be, and its slowly burning off. Or it could be more sinister.

If you have an engine breather then its worth popping this off and seeing whats coming out with engine running - is it blowing hard and oily?

If it were me I'd do a compression check now as well to confirm thats not the issue.

stillcool67

Post by stillcool67 »

ive been told prob crap in twin carbs ,through having hoses off, while fitting replacement gearbox ,going to try airfilter off and hands over each carb while missis revs it up , someone said that will clear em ? any other sugestions peeps think i need rubber hoses replacing anyway .

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ma ... rcooled.29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Might help?
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project