Back to non-power steering

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Back to non-power steering

Post by Mr Bean »

Well having reached the right old age of (embarrassed to reveal filter cuts in) I must confess my Popeye muscles are getting a bit feeble and occasionally cause the odd raising of eyebrows when I am extricating my van from a tricky parking spot - impatient buggers :twisted: .
But on the basis of use it or loose it I will stick with manual for the time being and enjoy the palm of the hand steering wheel spinning enabled by the Focus runabout. :)
Ditch! :?:
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Curious reading this.

What's the implication of not fitting correct uprights?
I ask because I bought them, but recall when I asked someone to fit, that they said uprights weren't needed.

Told them I'd prefer if they did, but no idea how I would know. ( Still have a set in the garage I can check - if they are PS variant, maybe I need to get them put on. )

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

if you fit using the non specific power steering uprights then the rate of turn isn't correct, you will adapt to it but I suspect it is at the centre ahead position and either side of that that it will be amplified and you will find yourself having to make more small adjustments, bit like driving a Splittie with worn king pin bushes; it was obviously cheaper and easier to make the uprights different for 2wd and 16" Syncro with ps than to get ZF to make 3 different rate racks, which back then wasn't a common upgrade as hydraulic ps required engine power and engine real estate and a lot of plumbing; it was only when eps came about that it became ubiquitous in cars and somewhat mirrored/was partially driven by the increase in women drivers/buyers.

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Aidan wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 07:12 if you fit using the non specific power steering uprights then the rate of turn isn't correct, you will adapt to it but I suspect it is at the centre ahead position and either side of that that it will be amplified and you will find yourself having to make more small adjustments, bit like driving a Splittie with worn king pin bushes; it was obviously cheaper and easier to make the uprights different for 2wd and 16" Syncro with ps than to get ZF to make 3 different rate racks, which back then wasn't a common upgrade as hydraulic ps required engine power and engine real estate and a lot of plumbing; it was only when eps came about that it became ubiquitous in cars and somewhat mirrored/was partially driven by the increase in women drivers/buyers.

Very much appreciated Aidan. Many thanks.

'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.