Change bell housing and input shaft from petrol to diesel

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

damongrounsell
80-90 Mem No: 6973

Change bell housing and input shaft from petrol to diesel

Post by damongrounsell »

I've looked on the wiki, I can't find it, hopefully some one can point me in the right direction.

How easy is it to change the bell housing and input shaft from a petrol gearbox to a diesel and visa versa.

My gearbox is jumping from 5th, I can't find a diesel gearbox but there is a petrol one on eBay that probably has the correct ratios, how easy is it to change the bell housing and input shaft from my diesel to the petrol and is are there any instructions of how to do, I've got the Bentley's.

If it is possible, I may have to have a go, since speed of turn around, means sending the broken gearbox in for repair is the option of hopefully last resort,

Thanks in advance

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Change bell housing and input shaft from petrol to diesel

Post by Mocki »

yes, its is as easy as it sounds, it is just a matter of swapping over
the bently gives info on how to take input shaft out
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

Very easy to do, as long as you have got a pair of spring clip pliers. The front gearbox mounts can be different, the one that bolts to the subframe. ( Petrol and diesel 4 or 5 speed boxes can be different lengths I think) so try and get the gearbox mount with the replacement gearbox just in case. When I swapped my box recently I was able to get the correct front mount too and the guy supplying the gearbox took ages to find the correct mount, but I was swapping from a 5 speed diesel to a 4 speed petrol in a hurry. I was unable to get the spring clip securing the shaft off (it was 4 in the morning and I had no spring clip pliers) so in the end I shortened the petrol shaft to match the length of the diesel shaft. Lots of carefull measuring and grinding a new shamfer on the cut end worked out OK for me.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

damongrounsell
80-90 Mem No: 6973

Post by damongrounsell »

Thanks for the advice, spring clip pliers I've got, but they're old and bent, do they work with the VW spring clip with rectagonal slots? or do you need a specific type?
I see the main shaft is bentleys p35.65, looks simple enough, we shall see, can't find the bell housing removal instructions, but can see basic diagram on p35.63 guess I'll need a new gasket. Thanks

Thanks

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Yes you should use a new gasket and input shaft seal , and it’s pretty self explanatory.
I’m sure I used bog standard circlip pliers , it’s many years ago, but I’ve never had any others .
Once you start it you shouldn’t have any issues I’m sure
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

I think I’m right in understanding that you’ve got a diesel engine, in which case I suggest you also change the spigot shaft bearing. It’s relatively easy to do with a diesel as you don’t need to remove the flywheel, and it’s one of those things you should consider doing whenever you crack open the bell housing.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

steveo9007
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16902

Post by steveo9007 »

apologies for reviving this thread, i am about to receive a new gearbox, exact same one as what i'm running now, so like for like, but it doesn't come with the bell housing only a new gasket and i am having to swap over my current bell housing and fit to new one is its a case of undoing the bolts and pulling it off and putting it on new gearbox, as i don't need to mess about with the input shaft. :?: :?:
1985 RHD Pop Top Autosleeper, 1.7D KY Engine 4 Speed ALD Gearbox (Bertie)