Rear Trailing Arm 2 piece Poly bush

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dubworth
80-90 Mem No: 16562

Re: Rear Trailing Arm 2 piece Poly bush

Post by Dubworth »

pkrboo wrote:
Dubworth wrote:Right. Looks like I'll be going with the split bushes then. I'm guessing I'll need 2 x this kit ( https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/t ... inner.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), to do both sides, I was going to factor in new trailing arm bolts as well as axle-to-gearbox bolts (guessing the axles will have ot come off to release the arms), as mine are looking a bit worn. Any other things worth replacing whilst this job is underway?

yes two of that kit, what condition are your rear brake hoses in?

They're ok, I upgraded to the Brickwerks braided ones last year.
1985 Sheldon High Top 1.9DF

kit
80-90 Mem No: 4170

Post by kit »

I have replaced almost all my front bushes with Powerflex and I can honestly say I have not noticed any difference.
1y Tin top rust collector.

Dubworth

Post by Dubworth »

Right...wish me luck...

pkrboo
80-90 Mem No: 17060

Post by pkrboo »

I fitted mine last week, absolute piece of wee wee to fit, getting the arm off was the usual nightmare!!
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

Dubworth

Post by Dubworth »

pkrboo wrote:I fitted mine last week, absolute piece of wee wee to fit, getting the arm off was the usual nightmare!!

How are you finding them? I'm still to get around to mine, currently in discussion to have done at a friends garage where we can get it on the lift etc. and get hte arms blasted and coated whilst they're off.

pkrboo
80-90 Mem No: 17060

Post by pkrboo »

Dubworth wrote:
pkrboo wrote:I fitted mine last week, absolute piece of wee wee to fit, getting the arm off was the usual nightmare!!

How are you finding them? I'm still to get around to mine, currently in discussion to have done at a friends garage where we can get it on the lift etc. and get hte arms blasted and coated whilst they're off.
All good

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
1.6 CS Diesel DOKA

Dubworth

Post by Dubworth »

Finally got mine in along with having my arms powder coated etc. Nice improvement over my old knackered rubber bushes, very impressed so far.

aknapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by aknapper »

I've used Powerflex bushes for ARB, front bushings and steering rack.  The split ones are much easier to get in (steering rack this week).  I've not replaced the rear bushings but will use Powerflex despite the cost for ease of assembly.  No idea if they outperform the rubber but I'd rather have some piece of mind that they'll last.  Just bought same for replacing the gearbox bushing.  In my experience getting the old bushings out are a right pain in the a$$ and take 2x longer than conservative estimate, so the splits do make it easier to replace and much less time.  Next summer I'll probably tackle the rear trailing arm bushings (yes with powerflex despite the extortionate cost)
1987 Komet Hightop DG

Dubworth

Post by Dubworth »

aknapper wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 10:39 I've used Powerflex bushes for ARB, front bushings and steering rack.  The split ones are much easier to get in (steering rack this week).  I've not replaced the rear bushings but will use Powerflex despite the cost for ease of assembly.  No idea if they outperform the rubber but I'd rather have some piece of mind that they'll last.  Just bought same for replacing the gearbox bushing.  In my experience getting the old bushings out are a right pain in the a$$ and take 2x longer than conservative estimate, so the splits do make it easier to replace and much less time.  Next summer I'll probably tackle the rear trailing arm bushings (yes with powerflex despite the extortionate cost)

The way I see, Powerflex are fit and forget, modern rubber doesn't seem to last very long so it seems false economy to scrimp on these bits when the effort/labour involved is the major expenditure, buy cheap, buy twice etc.

aknapper
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by aknapper »

Fitted powerflex to the Gearbox mount.  Very easy to install (once I had refurbished and painted the mount).  Very pleased.  I used to get about an inch of play prior and now it is gone and gearbox is nice and solid.  Happily recommend.
1987 Komet Hightop DG