5spd Gearbox, popping out of 2nd

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nicpillinger
80-90 Mem No: 8161

5spd Gearbox, popping out of 2nd

Post by nicpillinger »

Hey all,
our 5 speed box has always been interesting to drive (finding reverse is a dark art!) but recently on a longer journey when everything was hot after 100 or so motorway miles we had to stop/slow right down for the inevitable traffic jam and I noticed it pop out of 2nd a couple of times. I've driven it since and on shorter journeys its been absolutely fine.

I'm wondering if this is the beginning of the end for the gearbox - which means a rebuild/replacement or if this could have some other cause? Its a 1990 1.9 DG.

thanks in advance for any advice or tips - cheers Nic

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: 5spd Gearbox, popping out of 2nd

Post by Aidan »

Nic
is that popping out of 2nd gear when off load, on the overrun or under load right foot down accelerating ?
Take a good look at the linkage to see if there is wear or missing parts or parts like rubber boots that could be acting as springs on the linkage or blocks preventing full enagement of the gear.
An oil change will get you a look at the drain plug magnet which will give some idea of internal wear since the last oil change.

nicpillinger

Post by nicpillinger »

thanks Aidan, I would say it did it once or twice on the overrun or off load (definitely not under acceleration). The linkage is definitely worn but I haven't had a good look at it myself. Its noticably snicking into 2nd which it never used to do. The thing is its only done it few times and its been when its pretty hot/done a few miles that day - I was sort of thinking if it was a boot/linkage issue I'd have it all the time?

My van is going in at the end of september to have a few other things done so will get them to do a gearbox oil change and get some photos of the drain plug.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Got to admit that my five speed box has jumped out of 2nd a couple of times when descending steep long and possibly bumpy gradients using engine braking.
I have replaced my engine mounts but do notice the in (my opinion) rather longish gear lever rattles and now unconsciously rest a calming hand on the gear lever in these circumstances. Have considered fitting a short shift kit but can't reconcile the reduction in mechanical advantage which I am sure will result.
I have avoided fiddling with the linkages etc up until now (since 2006 :oops: ) and avoid Hills like Porlock and The Great Elm and that one going down into Ilfracombe if possible. I guess I should do a refurb...
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

nicpillinger

Post by nicpillinger »

so this is the state of the drain plug, not too pretty, thoughts Aidan?

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

Nic
Sludgy build up of fines on the magnet stem points to fairly heavy wear of main bearings, I'd expect to find a worn pinion bearing and a bit of to and fro play in shafts which may well be a contributory factor in jumping out of gear

nicpillinger

Post by nicpillinger »

Thanks Aidan - what would be your recommendation? At the moment I'm thinking its generally driving very well - I've done a gearbox oil change so I'm hoping that will get me through a couple more low milage years? Its a second vehicle so gets very light use generally (station runs every week or 2 and 1 or 2 trips camping further afield in the summer).

LewisMac
80-90 Mem No: 16637

Post by LewisMac »

Aidan,

How often should we be changing our gearbox oil?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LewisMac
80-90 Mem No: 16637

Post by LewisMac »

Aidan wrote:Nic
is that popping out of 2nd gear when off load, on the overrun or under load right foot down accelerating ?
Take a good look at the linkage to see if there is wear or missing parts or parts like rubber boots that could be acting as springs on the linkage or blocks preventing full enagement of the gear.
An oil change will get you a look at the drain plug magnet which will give some idea of internal wear since the last oil change.

Hi Aiden,

How often do you recommend changing gear box oil?

Cheers

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

LewisMac wrote:Aidan,

How often should we be changing our gearbox oil?

Cheers

At least 3 years or 20k miles whichever comes first but more often if you want as it's the only way to see the drain plug magnet and gauge wear or see debris; £25 oil v £1000 unexpected / inconvenient rebuild; maths makes sense for me