Stuck in third gear whilst driving

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Fugeh
80-90 Mem No: 0

Stuck in third gear whilst driving

Post by Fugeh »

Hi,

I have a 1.9l petrol 1988 4speed.

Van has developed an issue that it gets stuck in third gear. It will come out of third gear once I've come to a stop. Once stopped I can select and use 1st and 2nd normally (didn't check 4th, but once shifted back into third it gets stuck in gear until I've come to a complete halt.

This was all quite harrowing when it happened as I was in France at the time, but managed to get the van home.

Any ideas what this could be? Thanks in advance.
88 Autosleeper Trident 1.9
Hythe, Kent.

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Re: Stuck in third gear whilst driving

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

First easy thing to rule out is check hydraulic fluid level. Pop the dash pod cover thing and check your brake and clutch fluid level,they use the same reservoir and clutch comes off high up the reservoir so if fluid level drops due to any leak in either system you can start to lose clutch making gearchange difficult.
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

asterix_the_gaul wrote:First easy thing to rule out is check hydraulic fluid level. Pop the dash pod cover thing and check your brake and clutch fluid level,they use the same reservoir and clutch comes off high up the reservoir so if fluid level drops due to any leak in either system you can start to lose clutch making gearchange difficult.

Thank you. I had the master cylinder replaced prior to leaving for the holiday as the old one was leaking. I'll check it to make sure there is nothing untoward.
Hythe, Kent.

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Give the slave a prod too to see if it's leaking. When i was having gear selection problems last year-stuck in first, unable to get into second etc unless i turned the engine off, i had a knackered master cylinder letting air into the system.Maybe give yours a bleed if the levels are ok. When i changed it i did the gearbox oil too as i had never done it before and it gave me a chance to inspect the drain plug.
David.
the future is unwritten

Fugeh

Post by Fugeh »

jrt wrote:Give the slave a prod too to see if it's leaking. When i was having gear selection problems last year-stuck in first, unable to get into second etc unless i turned the engine off, i had a knackered master cylinder letting air into the system.Maybe give yours a bleed if the levels are ok. When i changed it i did the gearbox oil too as i had never done it before and it gave me a chance to inspect the drain plug.
David.

Thanks David, The slave was replaced in June also. Will check both.
Hythe, Kent.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

it's probably a broken 3rd 4th syncrohub, common failure, may not be any evidence on the drainplug, and stationary when cold may appear to be fine