Stolen keys, options?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sonnyhowell
80-90 Mem No: 0

Stolen keys, options?

Post by sonnyhowell »

Hey guys,

So I’ve been out of the country for a few weeks, while I was away one of my vans has been stolen and the other they couldn’t get started but they stole all the keys. What am I options here? Should I just replace the ignition with a new one? Or is this something really obvious I’m missing any help is greatly appreciated.
(85 caravelle cl)
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonnyhowell

Re: Stolen keys, options?

Post by sonnyhowell »

Also I think my door handles have been re tumbled in the past (bit of a Frankenstein bus) so don’t know if the numbers in the handles will be of any use

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

You need to empty your van of anything valuable and get some extra security in place ASAP. At bare minimum I would probably fit a pedal lock, disconnect and remove the starter battery, and install a tracker. Then you will have a bit of breathing room to consider your options for new lock sets.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

sonnyhowell

Post by sonnyhowell »

Already in hand.....3 break ins in 4 days, house empty and 2 cars/vans gone.
My issue now is this remaining van is my only form of transportation and I need to drive her as soon as I can really. Any suggestions? Can I just buy a new ignition and swap them?? Surly it can’t be that simple?

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

It is that simple to get going, rotor arm / king lead removal is a good preventative measure and readily portable.

You can then look at tumbler adjustments so the doors can be locked. If the steering lock is knackered you can simply hotwire it

Tough times, I'm sorry :cry:
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Genuine sympathy of course but I don't believe anyone can rely simply on door and ignition locks these bad bad days. I'd probably bite the bullet but:
You need several layers of security including covertly actuated dead locks, non-standard electrical dodges and inaccessible on board power access etc.
A load of faffing to dream up and install and embarrassing when you get caught out by your own devices but best for peace of mind as the villains don't have experience with non - professional installations.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

bigbadbob76
80-90 Mem No: 15707

Post by bigbadbob76 »

sonnyhowell wrote: Can I just buy a new ignition and swap them?? Surly it can’t be that simple?

Yes, but you'll have to grind the old steering lock off as without the key you can't get the barrel out.
so you'll need a new steering lock assy as well.
'86 1.9 DG, 4 spd, tintop, camper conversion.
Split case club member.