Time-Sert thread length for T25 syncro head

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncro4us
80-90 Mem No: 2677

Time-Sert thread length for T25 syncro head

Post by syncro4us »

I want to repair a cylinder head of our T25 2.1 petrol with a New / Old stock Time-Sert tool which originally would have been supplied by Wurth.
The thread is the standard 14 X 1.25.
However I wanted to check if anyone has done this job and if so what length Time Sert insert they bought.
Currently I have the M14 X 1.25 X 15mm inserts. In actual fact the thread length is 15.23 mm from the lower side of the seat on the insert to the end of the thread
the only other size Wurth do is 14 x 1.25 x 16.8mm in boxes of 50!

I also have a v coil kit but that is different again and not nearly so sophisticated as the time sert Kit as it is a straight forward stepped tap that really doesn't initially fit the M14 x 1.25 thread in the cylinder head.
The Time-Sert kit on the other hand has a M14x 1.25 stepped thread on the tap and the kit includes the reamer tool to cut a counter sink for the insert seat.
In addition the time sert insertion tool has lobes on the thread to deliberately cold form the inner thread of the insert so that it makes a tight interference fit with the newly cut thread in the cylinder head.
No wonder the time sert tool is retailed at around £200 by Wurth whilst the Vcoil is about £60 and doesn't have the correct guide thread so wont guarantee a perfect job.

Any way if any one has any info on the length of time sert insert can they let me know

thanks
Kevin

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Time-Sert thread length for T25 syncro head

Post by Aidan »

15mm insert will be fine that's over ten turns holding the plug in

syncro4us
80-90 Mem No: 2677

Re: Time-Sert thread length for T25 syncro head

Post by syncro4us »

Thanks Aiden I was hoping 15mm would be ok as it seems to be most common

Gary is on the home stretch with the VW restoration (1 and a half years) and its been painted in Trafalgar blue and looks great but could not get a decent rear original double glazed Joker rear tailgate window. Brickworks did them but the repro one was showing cracks as faulty manufacture so have stopped for the time being like everyone else. Have you got one. Ours is cracked on the inside but the outside is still ok but would like to replace it. Neither Gary or I have been able to find one.

bye for now

Kevin