Value of an engine?

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dekhelia
80-90 Mem No: 0

Value of an engine?

Post by dekhelia »

On holiday in Wales just now, and the neighbours near the cottage we're staying in have an '84 T3 parked up in the alley behind the houses. Been there for what looks to be a good five years, with commensurate decrepitude setting in. I spoke to the young lady who owns it, and she tells me it's a 2.1 petrol with lpg conversion. She wants rid as she's got herself a Peugeot Boxer camper now (!), and I was kind of wondering what to offer her. I don't have a petrol myself, but I'm sure there would be some usable spares there. Is it worth it for the engine alone (which apparently ran fine when it was parked up - and was in fact a recon unit)?
'81 Helgo Mescalero 300,000km
AAZ with ally cam cover from Scirocco
JX turbo
New gearbox coming soon

hightop ratty
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2717

Re: Value of an engine?

Post by hightop ratty »

A 2.1 petrol engine is always desirable (as parts are getting harder to get hold of for them), and a power upgrade for 1.9 petrol vans.

Has she said why it was taken off the road - mechanical or body issues ?

Hard to value as condition is everything, depends if its savable as a van or breaker ?

dekhelia

Post by dekhelia »

Yeah, thought it'd be a tricky one. It's actually registered as a 1.9, so the 2.1 must have been an upgrade. MOT expired in 2012, which means there are probably horrors aplenty lurking for anyone with restoration in mind. I think my heart rules with these situations, and I hate to see a T3 left to disintegrate like this. The metalwork is all rescue-able of course, if one has lots of time. I gather it was first parked up because it wouldn't run right on lpg, which isn't a surprise: it'd have been an expensive daily drive on petrol alone. I just wish I wasn't so far away fromPembrokeshire when I'm home, otherwise I'd probably make an offer. Had a brief look online for 2.1 prices and you're right, demand is driving them up these days. A lot of silly figures around, too.
JX turbo
New gearbox coming soon

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Any engine left with out brim full good condition coolant for 5 years will probably have degraded.
As most WBX leak I'd say it will likely have serious corrosion on the upper studs and barrels and compression rings and if it runs it will probably soon suffer a head seal failure.

How do you know it's a 2.1? the case number is no guarantee, late 1.9 and 2.1 cases are the same and often get interchanged.

2.1 DJ is the really desirable one, MV is desirable but pistons are not as rare as DJ
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

dekhelia

Post by dekhelia »

Going to have a proper look today if I can. Will report back. Though from what you say, the whole thing will probably be a lot more bother than it's worth.
JX turbo
New gearbox coming soon

dekhelia

Post by dekhelia »

Hm. Turns out it's a DG, not a DJ. I couldn't even see whether the lpg was connected or not...so anyway, the whole thing's not for me. If anyone on the forum is interested, I have the guy's number - he said he'd probably let the whole van go for around the £500 mark, which I actually think is a good price. I'd have given him £200 for the gearbox alone, just a shame it's in S Wales and I'm in York. Ah well. PM me if anyone wants more details. There is documented evidence of a recon motor being fitted at 83k, the van itself has only covered 90k.
JX turbo
New gearbox coming soon

Mad4vws

Post by Mad4vws »

Iv PM you :shock:

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Ive have also PM'd you
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".