Van stalling at low speeds, and then hard to start

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andyk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Van stalling at low speeds, and then hard to start

Post by andyk »

hi all
This is re a 1990 1.6TD JX. We seem to be in danger of getting stranded on holiday in Germany :(
Seen a couple of other threads on here with similar symptoms and wondering whether this a problem with a lack of fuel getting to the engine. Fuel filter was replaced < 5,000km ago. Both fuel lines going to the pump have a mixture of air and fuel in them (with the engine not running). Normally van starts pretty much straight away but once this issue occurs it takes a lot of turns before it splutters into life. It goes along the autobahn no issues at all, just when we're in a town that it loses power and stalls.
Any thoughts for anything I could do here with limited tools (pliers, screwdriver) to try and get to the bottom of / fix this?
Many thanks
Andy
Andy
1.6TD 5 speed Westfalia Pop Top LHD 1990

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Re: Van stalling at low speeds, and then hard to start

Post by davidoft1 »

is it running on all 4 cylinders?

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

When my non turbo diesel intermittently started to refuse to idle and occasionally not start I found that I had a leak at the fuel injector pump seal (the one on the shaft behind the drive sprocket). This was letting air in as well as a tiny amount of fuel seeping out. The fuel was running down behind the timing cover and I mistook it at first for one of the usual oil weeps or seeps you get with these older engines.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

andyk

Post by andyk »

davidoft1 wrote:is it running on all 4 cylinders?
Not sure how I'd know, but when its running ok at higher revs it sounds the same as it ever did...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Andy

andyk

Post by andyk »

nevill3 wrote:When my non turbo diesel intermittently started to refuse to idle and occasionally not start I found that I had a leak at the fuel injector pump seal (the one on the shaft behind the drive sprocket). This was letting air in as well as a tiny amount of fuel seeping out. The fuel was running down behind the timing cover and I mistook it at first for one of the usual oil weeps or seeps you get with these older engines.
Many thanks I'll take a look next time we start it...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Andy