automatic gearbox losing fluid when filled up

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

flora
80-90 Mem No: 0

automatic gearbox losing fluid when filled up

Post by flora »

I filled the automatic gearbox of my 1987 1.9DG petrol T25 up to the full mark (with engine running as per instructions). Parked her on my sloping drive, nose down the slope. A couple of days later I found a quantity of gearbox fluid in the drip tray that I use underneath the engine/gearbox. Tracing possible leaks, I found fluid runs down the front passenger side of the gearbox casing where there was a bolt. Using a mirror, I took a photo of this bit of the casing and the top of the casing above the bolt (attached). On the casing top there is a small bolt hole (with no bolt) next to a larger hole which had gearbox fluid in it. It looks as if the drip tray fluid might have run out of this larger hole.

My question to anyone who has a similar automatic, or is familiar with the gearbox, is: is there a cover missing from the top of my casing which should seal the larger hole and be secured with a small bolt??

If I am missing a cover, does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

Many thanks for any help.
Flora
Attachments
Detail of casing with mirror showing top
Detail of casing with mirror showing top
Gearbox-front.jpg (118.68 KiB) Viewed 680 times

Cobra88
80-90 Mem No: 16481

Re: automatic gearbox losing fluid when filled up

Post by Cobra88 »

ignore that hole shown as its not used on a t25 (speedo cable on golf/jetta, corrado etc)

you are driving for a few miles then checking your auto transmission fluid with the engine running ??

not just checking with the engine running (must be at working temperature ?

there are a few places they usually leak

first is from the second gear brakeband piston cover (120 mm circle cover on left of the side of the gearbox) needs a seal kit from Germany of USA if leaking and fiddly to do with gearbox installed
as you have to remove the auto box sump pan and the valve block to get to it.

the governor cover seal which is above and behind the 2nd gear brakeband cover. (needs a new seal from Brickwerks)

the oil cooler unions on the front of the gearbox. (Need new O rings)

sump gasket.

2 breather valves on top of gearbox are clogged with dirt so box leaks everywhere when it gets warm.