Hot start issue and running out of electricity

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

asterix_the_gaul
80-90 Mem No: 16935

Hot start issue and running out of electricity

Post by asterix_the_gaul »

So when you got my van a few months back it was not charging and was diagnosed as bad alternator. New alternator and now getting 13.6v at idle cold, however when hot this drops to 13.4v. Hot and it's struggling to start hot and the battery is not charging on a run which then makes the hot start even more difficult. I'm going out with a spare charged battery and a jump pack and jump leads now!
I stick the Batt on a charger when I get home, so it's always fully charged again.
I'm guessing bad cables somewhere? Any suggestions
Autohomes CI Kamper 2.0 CU air-cooled

asterix_the_gaul

Re: Hot start issue and running out of electricity

I do the foot to floor hot start proceedure, it starts OK especially with the fresh battery, it just struggles when hot.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

The charge voltage should be a minimum of 13.8V at the battery or it will not fully charge. Check the connection where the alternator cable connects to the starter motor is clean.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

asterix_the_gaul

I believe this is what the mechanic did which got it up to 13.6v from 12.8. So I'm imagining replacing the cables is going to be required, any idea roughly how long and what spec or does somebody make uprated ones ready made?

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

asterix_the_gaul wrote:I believe this is what the mechanic did which got it up to 13.6v from 12.8. So I'm imagining replacing the cables is going to be required, any idea roughly how long and what spec or does somebody make uprated ones ready made?
Cleaned the connection or replaced the alternator?
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Pinkythelabrat
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Pinkythelabrat »

You know, I have no idea about the alternator on a van but my regulator for my car is set for around 14.4v.

13 point anything seems rather low - is that normal? Can you check the voltage produced on the alternator directly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

I’m not sure about air cold, but on the water cooled petrols the short lead tween the alternator and the starter is a known problem , it deteriorates and often goes high resistance , rots internally with the constant hot cold hot cold of being just above the zorst . Often just replacing that one cable can solve the low voltage to the battery issue , and the slow starter motor when hot problem ....

Alternator or wiring?

Easy to establish
Take a voltage reading at the alternator ( using the casing as neg ) with engine off
Then again with engine running
If you have a difference of more than 0.5v between those readings and the readings at the battery it’s connections or wire fault
If it’s no different ( ie less than 14v at alternator it’s brush pack or alternator)
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Brickwerks regulators are 14.2 volts
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

kevtherev wrote:Brickwerks regulators are 14.2 volts
Apart from the 14.5v ones
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/voltage-re ... 14-5v.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Mocki wrote:
kevtherev wrote:Brickwerks regulators are 14.2 volts
Apart from the 14.5v ones
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/voltage-re ... 14-5v.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah it says that.. but in practice..
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I found that the 14.5v one gave me 14.3v which is still better than the 13.8v offering.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

asterix_the_gaul

So, an update, paid an auto electrician to come out and check and replace wiring as you guys advised would probably be the problem as most garages I have asked shyed away when I have said the word electrical or booked up for weeks, I'm off tomorrow for a long weekend in the van so want it fixed quick

Anyhow, auto electrician agreed that the wiring connections were bad onto the starter motor but it was so rusted on the nut that he'd likely snap it if he tried to replace it so told me to get a new starter motor.

It appears in the hour 15min of diagnostics(with an analogue voltmeter?!) he charged me for he didn't test the battery : I swopped out a brand new battery and hey presto 14v. So the battery looks like it had a tired or dead cell which would be most Of The issue.
Voltage drops to 13.5v with headlights on however so ideally need to look at the corroded wiring.
I'm going to see if I can get a look at this rusted nut and see if it can be soaked and eased off, what gauge and length wire and connections am I going to need? I see brickwerks do the alternator plug..

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

soak it with plusgas for a couple of weeks daily beforehand and clean the threads you can get to with a fine wire brush .....

just a side note,
the lower the battery voltage you start the test with the bigger the difference you will see if the connections or wire is the fault , so a fully charged battery will give you nicer readings
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

asterix_the_gaul

Even with a brand new 096 battery it's still playing up, it's sometimes giving much lower voltage, 12.5 -12.8 and that was from cold, been soaking the starter connection nut with plusgas so hopefully that can be got off. What gauge cable should be used to replace? There's the one cable alternator to starter, what delivers the power is it that one? I don't quite understand how the current gets from the battery to the starter motor

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

The power to the starter comes from the battery !
The big fat wire from the battery travels under the van to the starter , where it joins onto the starter solenoid along with the not so far wire from the alternator

That connection on the starter solenoid if it’s corroded and rusty and manky is the o ly connecruon between the alternator and the main battery , so if you are loosing charge voltage it will either be that connection or the wire

You need to get a multimeter ( digital or moving needle ) and take some readings to find your problem
It’s Easy to establish
Take a voltage reading at the alternator ( using the casing as neg ) with engine off - take a reading at the battery with engine off , compare them .
Then again with engine running
If you have a difference if more than 0.5v between the alternator and the readings at the battery it’s connections or wire fault
If it’s no different ( ie less than 14v at alternator it’s brush pack or alternator)

I’m your case also take a set of readings at the starter solenoid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀