Brake Drum Temperatures

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MagicWagon
80-90 Mem No: 0

Brake Drum Temperatures

Post by MagicWagon »

To cut a long story short, I've had most things replaced on my rear brakes after MOT failure, and after several attempts by the garage to fit the parts (van has been returned with either the drums overheating, the shoes/drums juddering due to being too loose, or the handbrake not holding sufficiently) I decided to try and learn how to set it up myself.
I now have it set so the handbrake holds solidly on a slope, and (I think) not getting too hot after a 5 mile motorway run.
The drums themselves are around 70-75 degrees using an IR gun after the run, and I'm hoping that's OK.
Has anyone else measured their own temps, or know if this temp is within acceptable limits ?
I can back the adjusters off a couple more clicks, but it's time consuming and I don't want to go back to the brake not holding. (I've had the thing jacked up/wheels off to adjust half a dozen times to get to this stage - I can't seem to master adjusting through the hole in the backplate).
If those temps are acceptable, I'll take it for a longer run, and check they don't get any hotter.
1983 2.0L Air Cooled Devon Moonraker

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: Brake Drum Temperatures

Post by 937carrera »

I have not measured brake temps on a T25 (but have on more exotic stuff), but I would not worry about those temperatures at all. Remember brakes work by converting kinetic energy into heat energy, so the more you brake the hotter they get. So town work can mean higher temperatures than a motorway run.

The brakes are meant to be adjusted with the drums on, indeed if the drums are worn they will have a lip which means your current method of adjustment cannot work.

With experience, and remembering which way the adjuster has to move, you don't even have to jack the van up to adjust the brakes. :wink:... but it's generally a good idea, but certainly no need to remove the wheel
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

phinw
80-90 Mem No: 16041

Post by phinw »

If you are having trouble adjusting via the back plate the garage may have fitted the return springs upside down, which interferes with adjuster rotation. Learnt via a frustrating adjustment experience of my own!

Have a look in the wiki at the pictures at the end of the page here: http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Br ... _servicing
1988 1.9 DG

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

I'd say they are rubbing to be that hot after 5 miles but as said it depends how much you braked.
shoes may not be centered well
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

937carrera wrote:
The brakes are meant to be adjusted with the drums on, indeed if the drums are worn they will have a lip which means your current method of adjustment cannot work.

I don't think that he has said drums off - wheels off yes, which gives more room to mess around adjusting without going underneath.
Chocks under front wheels, handbrake off, jack up rear, wheels off, adjust until drum begins to bind, back off one or two clicks so that it is free.Same both sides. I then operate the footbrake and re-check. Check that handbrake holds firm both sides. All done, have never had any problem with brake action doing this.
I wouldn't have said that those temps were excessive either.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: I wouldn't have said that those temps were excessive either.

That's too hot to touch after 5 miles ( you can just keep your and on 50degC ut uncomfortable)

that's too hot unless you live in the mountains and don't know how to engine brake, next time you are out driving have a feel when you stop.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Oldiebut goodie wrote: I don't think that he has said drums off - wheels off yes, which gives more room to mess around adjusting without going underneath.

Fair point, I may have interpreted "can't seem to master adjusting through the hole in the backplate" too literally

It's perhaps worthwhile mentioning that heat comes from friction in the wheel bearings, friction from the tyres and radiated heat from the engine, as well as the brakes themselves

Magic Wagon, have you had shoes replaced or drums and shoes ?

New shoes on worn drums may need a bit of bedding in before they operate at their best

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

Thanks for the replies.
Just to clarify, yes I have been removing the drums, because I can't seem to get get the hang of turning the adjusters through the hole by the right amount and in the right direction.
There does not seem to be consensus so far about whether my temps are OK. (2 think too hot, 2 think don't worry) :(
I've had shoes, drums, cables, springs, and handbrake lever replaced.

937carrera

Post by 937carrera »

Actually, I think it's 2-1, itchy voted twice :rofl

Next time you have the drums off just practice the movement and take note whether it's an up or down movement of the screwdriver that takes the play up. Write it down if you have to :wink:

Also check the spring arrangement as suggested by phinw.

Otherwise just follow OBG's instructions

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I found that my adjusters needed to be attacked at a slight angle on both my T3 and Merc otherwise the adjusting tool tended to miss the cog easily. As said above you will never get the adjustment right by adjusting with the drums off - you will not know when the lining is touching the drum and you need to back off a click.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Push down on adjuster cog on (same both sides) to make it tighter, up to loosen, wheel off and flat blade screwdriver in cog. ( I have it written down!)

Nobody said you can't vote twice so it's a valid vote, it means I feel strongly enough to vote again.

75 won't ruin your brakes they are capable of that but it's not normal, what temperature will the be after a longer run?

Yes of course I have a picture :D

1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

Excellent. Thanks for the pics and the further advice.
I will back them off a couple of clicks (drums on !) and take on a longer run tonight.

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

Update. Backed off the hottest size by 3 clicks. Drove about 15 miles. Hottest side about 70, other side a bit less.
Handbrake held rock solid.
This morning after not touching handbrake, van will roll backwards on drive if pushed a bit, so not confident it will be good enough on a greater slope.
So where do I go from here ? Drums still "too hot" (?) after a run, and holds well hot, but not so much when cold.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

check the shoes are centralised, have a look at shoes and see if there are any parts that are rubbing.

it maybe the drum is worn and they are rubbing on the edges.

get a picture up of how the springs are all assembled in case it's wrong.

use the touch test not the thermometer, you won't burn yourself on 70 but is it really 70?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

MagicWagon

Post by MagicWagon »

Brand new shoes, drums and springs.
Don't get how it could hold solid last night and when I come out this morning it's not holding.
I've spent many many hours on it and really need to get it working for some upcoming breaks.
Does anyone know someone in north/central herts/south beds who knows what they are doing with these vans, and the brakes in particular, because I think I'm going have to give up and outsource :(