Stuck in 3rd gear

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TommymacT2589
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Stuck in 3rd gear

Post by TommymacT2589 »

If the insurance hadn't put us hour away from he garage I would of gone there meself asked for wire brush n done it meself, i even sent them the pic that was posted on here for where to it.
Theyve warned me that its rusty under there and other things could be broken when doing the job.
I'm currently checking on postage for a refurb to be sent over. But obv I havnt got the code off the current box so in limbo to whether to go thru with it.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
1989 2.1 autosleeper hightop

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

:roll:

That's the reason I asked for the existing gearbox code, so that if one could be located in the UK then you could get it sent over on a pallet

Swapping a gearbox over isn't difficult. 4 bolts onto engine, starter, linkage bolt, inner CV joints and remove slave cylinder, the only area of risk is around the slave cylinder hydraulic connections, but that doesn't actually need to be removed to do the job

What code is the box you are looking to get shipped over - easy to see if that is suitable ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

TommymacT2589

Post by TommymacT2589 »

They guy is on the way back from Scotland to Warwick after dropping off another gearbox, said I'd give him a call this afternoon regarding postage cost and with get the code off him. He said he'd have the one I need as hes got a few 4 speed ones on the shelf
I've posted on vw t3 italia facebook page to see if theres mechanic in the area and if theres any gearboxes about.
Just incase VW pisa is incapable

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

your 2.1 petrol with 4 speed is unusual, mostly they had a 5 speed
the only 4 speed 2.1 box was ACW which is basically the same as the much more common ABD box fitted in the 1.9 petrol
Any petrol 4 speed will do the job
ABD, ABB, DU or DT, but what matters is that it is a good one, the later the better, either tested or rebuilt with good know history, a picture of the drain plug magnet before committing to buy would be nice

TommymacT2589

Post by TommymacT2589 »

Sorry I should of mentioned it was a 1.9 but rebuilt to a 2.1 using the 1.9 base If that's the correct terms

TommymacT2589

Post by TommymacT2589 »

At the moment return is looking like my only option from bugshak. Other than using a 5 speed n 4 speed linkage

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

5 speed box and 4 speed stick and linkage will work, just a bit awk having to go under the gate to get 1st gear, it's what we do in the Syncro to get G gear which is basically a very low 1st gear on a 5 speed box, you'll get used to coming up to junctions rolling to pull away in 2nd and parking downhill so you can release handbrake and pull away in 2nd as often as you can and with practice getting in and out of 1st will become second nature :ok

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

Here is a quote from my own thread regarding swapping five and four speed boxes http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=168746

nevill3 wrote:From my experience with the gear linkage, I could have just used the five speed setup and understand how the four speed setup would be usable with a five speed box.

The only difficulty not swapping to a five speed linkage would be selecting first. You would have to move the gear lever to the left, push down as if you were selecting reverse but move away from the dashboard in the opposite direction to reverse.

The only other requirement is to ensure you also get the front gearbox mount because they do differ for a five speed as the gearboxes are physically longer and also that it is not a diesel gearbox because the input shafts are different lengths I think. Mick at NWVW probably has a box but getting it to Italy may be a problem.

The input shafts may be different lengths due to the five speed not whether it is a diesel, I am not sure. I had to shorten the input shaft on my swap but I was also swapping from a diesel 5 speed to a petrol 4 speed box being fitted to a diesel engine so had to change the bellhousing too.
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

TommymacT2589

Post by TommymacT2589 »

Hi all
Thanks for all your input and guidance, I have managed to locate a 4 speed box and is being shipped over from the UK on monday. So hopefully VW Pisa can do the swap without any problems.
Now after a stressful week my family and I are going to enjoy the next few days at the beach and In our air con room haha, but really cant wait to get back in our van missing the old girl!

DevonAid
80-90 Mem No: 3607

Post by DevonAid »

Are you back on the road?
Reading through this post is like watching a box set series - with the last episode missing!
Be great to get the happy ending finale.
1983 T25 Devon conversion 1.9DF

TommymacT2589

Post by TommymacT2589 »

16 days after libbys gearbox decided it had enough, I recieved this message today..
Will complete finale once I've got my bum back on that seat haha
Which is meant to be tomorrow once they've given it another test I've been toldImage

TommymacT2589

Post by TommymacT2589 »

Hi all week late but here's my finish to the thread.
So after being put up in hotel for 12days by the insurance then 4days in a cottage paid for by ourselves we were back in libby, nervous but extremely excited to be back on the road.

What better way to test out the new gearbox than to trek 600km from Pisa to slovenia! As my sister was meeting us there in a hired t3 from balkan campers.

Well at the start going into 2nd was a little crunchy so just to make sure we got to slovenia I bypassed 2nd. After 4 stops along the way we arrived to meet my sister at 10pm drove through scorching high 38°c for most of the journey then through a thunder storm for the last hour which helped keep me awake haha.

Week on we are now in split croatia, sisters now gone home so we're back to plodding wherever we see fit.

Gearbox - well can say theres no crunching in any gears so whether it has lubed itself up and dont really know, but I'm very happy.
Now I need to sort out getting my broken gearbox shipped back to the uk for me to deal with when I return in october.

Like to say a big thankyou for all your input and encouragement. All so thankyou to Pete at muddyfields for finding gearbox and getting it shipped out (even though it took a week for it to be packed correctly haha)

Right hope you all are enjoying your summer adventures

If anyone wants to follow our travels my mrs has a Instagram page set up called TravellingMckaysImageImageImage

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

This is an inspiring thread.

1. Your determination, 2. technology, and 3. the willingness of the T25 and 80-90 community to help have combined for a positive outcome to a very difficult situation.

Well done to all those involved :)

Please let all us non-instagram types know when you get back safely.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

Well done mate. Must have been stressful had quite a few foreign breakdowns myself. Looks like you had the fortune to be dropped off at a decent garage. Enjoy your trip. Must be lovely in Slovenia at this time of year
Honorary "Dave" 

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Hurray!
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed