4 speed linkage help

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

RustyRed
80-90 Mem No: 0

4 speed linkage help

Post by RustyRed »

Hi folks.

Help! The gear selection has been a problem for some time, select 2nd gear then push up to 1st. The box would make a slight crunch but tend to work. You couldn't select 1st immediately.
I went to the gear selection box and the 13mm bolt was loose directly under the stick and the linkage leans badly to the n/s. I nipped this up.
Now the gear linkage pinch bolt in the middle of the van, marked and moved as slightly in the hope of fixing problem. Resulted in firmer neutral but 1st and 2nd has to be pressed down (like when selecting reverse). Any ideas what I need to do. Its tough being on your own under the van on the ground. Thanks

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: 4 speed linkage help

Post by itchyfeet »

it's all here with pictures

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ge ... _mechanism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

RustyRed
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by RustyRed »

Thanks for this.

Is it normal to have a lot of play on the gear stick. 4th gear is on my knee and I've found once in 4th I can sort of hook the lever over like some type of gate which moves the lever away from me. Is this normal? Sorry never driven or been in another van as yet.

Kurt

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

That sounds like excessive wear of the aluminum blocks at the bottom of the gear lever. You're in for a spot of refurbing I believe.
South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Wychall wrote:That sounds like excessive wear of the aluminum blocks at the bottom of the gear lever. You're in for a spot of refurbing I believe.

4 speed doesn't have aluminium blocks that I remember, thats 5 speed but plastic tips could be worn.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks