late wbx bleed valve

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

late wbx bleed valve

Post by itchyfeet »

What difference if any does it make it you were to leave the engine bay bleed valve open on a late wbx cooling system?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Re: late wbx bleed valve

Post by 937carrera »

I would have thought that you would have a small coolant leak and the coolant would be at greater risk of boiling as there is no coolant system pressure. (do you remember Mr Boyle)

What have you done ?
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

937carrera wrote:I would have thought that you would have a small coolant leak and the coolant would be at greater risk of boiling as there is no coolant system pressure. (do you remember Mr Boyle)

What have you done ?

it does not bleed to air it just bypasses the thermostat to the bleed rail so I can't see a big issue but VW didn't fit it if it has no purpose.

Not done anything but easy to forget and wondering if it could cause problems.

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Not sure I understand this post as I have a 1988 2.1 WBX (is this late?) and the only thing I can identify as a bleed valve in my engine bay is the one on the top of the thermostat housing which is not connected to what I perceive to be the bleed rail. In fact when I recently replaced my coolant and changed the stat housing I successful bled air then coolant from this point via a small forward facing stub by loosening the little black plastic thumb wheel gismo. (It having been accidentally or deliberately blocked. But definitely no tube was attached.
I can envisage the idea of this stub being permanently connected to the bleed rail as this would be the natural path for air which needed bleeding.
Of course had this been the design intent then the little black plastic thumb wheel gismo would be redundant.
Apologies if I have muddied the water by my lack of detail knowledge re model version history.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX