Clutch low rubble

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Da dan
80-90 Mem No: 0

Clutch low rubble

Post by Da dan »

Hi all. What would make a low rubble in the clutch? It sounds like a bearing sort of noise? It happens when I depress the clutch sometimes or goes very noisy trying to pull away with revs up a hill. It’s bitting at the top of the peddle but is fully functional apart from this? Im guessing a rebuild? It a 5 speed dg1.9.
Also if I change the expansion tank (with the pressure cap) do I need to drain the system or can I just draw out the fluid and put it back in after then bleed it? As its leaking due to the wrong one being put on there and bogged with a piece of pipe where it’s weeping from when under pressure. As I need the tank with the bigger hole at the top. Hope that makes sense? Thanks in advance lovely people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Re: Clutch low rubble

Post by RogerT »

A low rubble?

That’ll be a Bamm-Bamm kind of noise I expect.

No idea, Betty might know...
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

I have no idea what you are talking about; in a nice way. So, any brake fluid near your pedals. What I’m asking is leakage. It’ll be either your clutch master or clutch slave. So, check the master, behind your pedals or the slave LHS back of your engine. Report back.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

clone123

Post by clone123 »

On vehicles I've done in the past any kind of bearing noise when depressing clutch usually means the thrust bearing is on it way out and that means new clutch but without actually examining myself I couldn't be sure
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

That’s what I was thinking too. Will this just go pop and stop working? Or will it mess up the gear box if I wait till things get more sinister?

I am glad someone understands my waffle thanks

clone123

Post by clone123 »

If it is hydraulic check for any leaks first if there isn't any I would change the clutch sooner rather than later because you said the pedal with biting at the top. I know of people that run around with a noisy thrust bearing for years I've never actually no one to collapse but it's always a first time

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

No it not hydraulic. Put a new master cylinder etc on about a year ago. No leaks when I last looked a few weeks ago as I thought this but will check again. How easy is it to drop out the clutch? I’m thinking time wise too? Thanks again

clone123

Post by clone123 »

Not sure how easy it is to drop out only ever replace the engine in mine and it a diesel never worked on petrol ones maybe somebody on here can give you better advice on the easy way to remove it.have a look on Utube that may give you a good idea

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

dropping the gearbox on the floor with axle stands if you've never done it before and depending on mechanical experience and fitness is a 2-4 hour job, so figure a day to change the clutch yourself, a competent garage would do it in 3hours providing everything undoes, and nothing fails like clutch slave or starter motor, they have a habit of doing so sometimes; worth changing the spigot bearing as well which can easily add an hour as it's a flywheel off job on a petrol van

Da dan

Post by Da dan »

Very helpful thanks guys. Will look in to it over the next few weeks. Thank you for your help.