High speed kangaroo

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MarkBos
80-90 Mem No: 0

High speed kangaroo

Post by MarkBos »

Hi, need some help please
I have enjoyed my van for 4 years, but this problem is testing me to the point of ........
Its 1.9 DG petrol panel van, been bloody marvelous and I have managed to fix most niggles along the way
But this issue is breaking me. It appears only when above 50 mph and the van starts to judder/stutter and kangaroo down the road.....can be frightening

Since the problem began, I replaced leads, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm and then air and oil filter (just to service anyway)
I dont think its a timing issue because the van starts and drives at low speeds with no issues
My basic understanding leads me to think its must be a fuel/fuel starvation issue but have been unable to solve

I have replaced the fuel line from tank to carb (new filter and one way valve added)
I also temporarily removed the small filter that sits inside the carb to try to increase the fuel flow rate
It has the mechanical fuel pump, again i believe no issues because it runs fine at lower speeds

Problem still exists

My next thoughts are the fuel tank (replacement) or carb (refurb), but before i go down this road, has anyone had this before or have any suggestions on what could be the problem?

Cheers
Mark

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: High speed kangaroo

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

MarkBos wrote:Hi, need some help please

It has the mechanical fuel pump, again i believe no issues because it runs fine at lower speeds

Problem still exists

Cheers
Mark

Not a petrol guy but this is where I would look - pushrod worn therefore not pumping enough fuel at higher speeds.
Search on the forum should throw up the correct length.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

MarkBos

Post by MarkBos »

Thanks, that sounds like a possible cause. I did replace the push rod plastic/melamine guide about 6 months ago, which was at a similar time the problem began.....But i will check the rod and replace anyway

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

Also have a search for hesitation under load/pulling back and a few things will be highlighted. You can adjust the little cam that alters max fuel delivery to the carb' etc.
David.
the future is unwritten

Forden341
80-90 Mem No: 15589

Post by Forden341 »

It certainly sound like it’s running out of fuel. I think if it started around the time you changed the pushrod and guide then I would be looking in that area. Maybe start by testing the fuel pressure with a simple inline gauge. Never had a wbx van but I know with my aircooleds setting pressure is achieved by adding or removing gaskets which effectively lengthens or shortens the pushrod.

MarkBos

Post by MarkBos »

Thanks all, really appreciate the suggestions, i will give them a try

937carrera
80-90 Mem No: 16333

Post by 937carrera »

Try repeating the test in other gears - to confirm it is engine speed related (I expect it will be)

...and double check you fitted the correct pushrod
1981 RHD 2.0 Aircooled Leisuredrive project, CU engine
1990 RHD 1.9 Auto Sleeper with DF/DG engine

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Post by Ant-t »

I'd refit the inline fuel filter in your carb, how old and what condition is your tank in?
1983 DG Kamper 2

MarkBos

Post by MarkBos »

New push rod arrived (100mm)
Interestingly it has a round head, whereby the one i just taken out was more pencil shaped, although also 100mm

Unfortunately, problem still exists
I experienced it in 3rd gear also today

Next I will try and remove the gasket temporarily to see if that helps

The fuel tank is on its way out for sure, stopped filling it to full a couple of years ago, because it would leak. Could this be the cause? Rusty tank restricting the flow of fuel?

I do not own a pressure gauge atm

Where is the cam adjuster mentioned to increase the fuel flow please?

Thanks all,
Mark

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Post by diabolov »

Hi,

I would look at the carb, assuming you have a Pierburg. Possible partial blocked main jet, not delivering at the higher end OR adjustment of the second venturi.

Check out James Akers on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKD6ci8o06w ''Stripping a Pierburg 2E3 Carb for Rebuild VW T25 / T3''

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amnqCUSTnUw ''Pierburg 2E3 Carb Rebuild & Adjustments for VW T25 / T3''

Regards

M
Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG

jrt
80-90 Mem No: 10288

Post by jrt »

MarkBos wrote:
Where is the cam adjuster mentioned to increase the fuel flow please?

Thanks all,
Mark
As above a look at James great videos and it's all in there. I bought a refurb kit after watching them. I adjusted mine (to max)along with replacing the worn pump diaphragm as i had holding back/lack of power issues in 4th and 5th.
David.
the future is unwritten

MarkBos

Post by MarkBos »

Thank you
Those videos look great
I’ll start on the carb this weekend
Thanks all

wayno

Post by wayno »

Hi there, does the problem start as soon as you set off from cold or when the engine is warmed through and up to temperature
Wayno

MarkBos

Post by MarkBos »

Still not fixed :(

At the weekend, I adjusted the cam round to max fuel delivery and gave it a test run today, but again faced the same problem

I will look at the pump diaphragm next

If required, I am not sure i am confident enough to complete a carb refurb myself, anyone recommend someone in South East London/Kent area?

I would say this happens when the van is warmed up. I tend to let it get to temperature before hitting 50mph + as a rule

Cheers all

wayno

Post by wayno »

ok
I had a similar problem on my dg 1.9. I rebuilt the carb and the dizzy, changed basically everything without stripping the engine. Before you go to those lengths Just as a matter of interest have you checked the non return valve from the manifold. Its the white hard plastic pipe to the left hand side and goes off through the rear bulkhead to assist the brake servo. When the engine is cold it shows no problem but as the engine warms through the pipe expands and allows in air which then affects the mixture in the carb giving, in my case the kangaroo effect. When the engine is at running temp check for movement where the pipe meets the manifold.

Just a thought

Wayno