New Water Pump

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

100leelee
80-90 Mem No: 15962

New Water Pump

Post by 100leelee »

Hi,
Need to change the water pump.
1.9 dg
Any tips??
Thanks!!

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: New Water Pump

Post by maxstu »

Early or late DG?
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
1987 DG1.9 LPG Auto Autosleeper
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

100leelee

Post by 100leelee »

maxstu wrote:Early or late DG?
Sorry

Late

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

it's not too bad but it's fiddly in places.

from memory

Fan/aux belt off by loosening alternator.

Pump pulley off, rubbish design because as you try and undo the bolts it turns, get two spanners on two bolts and one of the two will come undone, then put a longer M8 bolt back in that stops it rotating to get the others out.

drain coolant from right hand head spigot into a bucket ( more controlled draining)

remove Large water pipe bolts to pump with bucket under as some more coolant will come out ( needs new oring)

remove small coolant pipe that runs in front of crank pulley( again bucket under) , getting to these bolts is the fiddly bit from my memory, I have used a hex bit with a combination spanner on it before.
It's easier to remove this pipe from the other end too ( right hand side of engine) but not essential, it makes refitting easier because you may struggle to get the bolt holes to align when putting it back, need new paper/card gaskets for each end and I use some sealant as its a pain to get to if it leaks.

Any of these cap head hex bolts could be seized or round out so make sure they are well cleaned and hammer the bit in to be sure before turning, not had a problem myself on these.
Do not try and use allen keys you want hex bits that fit a socket set or can be used with a combination spanner on the bit.

three nuts hold the pump onto studs with washers , remove these, pull pump off ( again bucket under) , needs new large oring.

clean up mating surface on the engine block before refitting as well as the small metal pipe mating surfaces.

If the metal pipes are black or rusty worth splashing out on stainless in my opinion but they are not cheap.

And finally buy the best pump you can afford, cheap pumps have large clearances between impellar and the pump body which means they don't create enough flow.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

100leelee

Post by 100leelee »

Thanks....
Sounds ‘awkward’

Looking forward to it :)

scunnerd25
80-90 Mem No: 17639

Post by scunnerd25 »

If all the bolts come out then its quite an easy job but you know that's not going to happen . I had to cut the heads of two bolts then when I got it all together I found a pin hole leak at the rear of the left hand metal pipe so had to change that as well . But it makes a big difference sound wise

100leelee

Post by 100leelee »

scunnerd25 wrote:If all the bolts come out then its quite an easy job but you know that's not going to happen . I had to cut the heads of two bolts then when I got it all together I found a pin hole leak at the rear of the left hand metal pipe so had to change that as well . But it makes a big difference sound wise

Yep, the days of a ‘small job’ have long since gone..!!
Plan to change the ‘under pump’ steel pipe as well.. as it will be rusted for sure..