2.1 DJ high idle when hot

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

scotttie
80-90 Mem No: 16828

2.1 DJ high idle when hot

Post by scotttie »

Hi all,

Recently I've been noticing an issue where if I am sitting in traffic and the engine gets hot enough for the fan to engage, the idle speed dramatically increases. I don't have a rev counter but I'd say it goes up to 2000-3000 rpm in some cases. As soon as the engine cools back down or when I start moving the idle speed returns to normal. Could this be something to do with the temp senders giving bad information to the ECU? I though it might be the throttle cable getting stuck at first but it only happens in these particular conditions and I've lubed up the throttle cable at every part I can access.

Thanks,
Scott

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: 2.1 DJ high idle when hot

Post by Mr Bean »

Dug up one of my old posts on this subject but there seems to be many things which can cause this problem:

Quote:
I was plagued for yonks with fast tick over on my 2.1 DJ WBX and I had the feeling that the brake servo lost efficiency when coming to a halt.
I eventually stumbled on a weeny micro switch in the throttle valve. It appeared to be working but when measured with a multi meter was just not cutting the mustard. I little tweek (I forget whether I bent the arm or was able to adjust with screw and slot) and the tick over was back down from 1200-1500 to a rock solid 750 RPM.

I just checked and found it in the Wiki - worth checking as it could have saved me some searching :oops:
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX