Gearbox issue and clutch smell

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

keith2874

Gearbox issue and clutch smell

Post by keith2874 »

Hello all

A couple of weeks ago I bought a t25 2.1 5 speed and took it for it's first proper run this weekend. I drove it to Devon - which is over 100 mikes from where I live and toward the end of the journey I started to get a strong clutch type smell. Also when I was changing down to engine brake, unless I held the gearstick it would often pop out of 3rd gear. It also popped out of first gear when I was at the campsite going down a steep hill

Coming home today, initially things were fine. But approaching a junction and changing down to engine brake it popped out of 3rd gear. It went back into gear with a slight clunk, but after this I had a strong clutch type smell for the next half hour or so.

The box goes into gear fine and does not make any funny noises. The pedal feels fine and it doesn't judder when you feed the clutch in. The smell seems to be worse after going up hill, but I can't detect any clutch slippage.

Any ideas? I'm hoping it's a clutch issue but I'm really worried I've bought a van with a dodgy gearbox.....

Any advice/ help much appreciated

Regards

Keith

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Gearbox issue and clutch smell

Post by Mr Bean »

Got to admit my 2.1 WBX five speed box has been known to jump out of 1st gear on very heavy engine breaking on very steep hills. I am wary of this and have found myself gently restraining the gear lever to stop it flapping about. This is a very rare occurrence for me but I would be interested to hear other responses - crosses fingers :( .
Possible external gearbox causes: slack or poorly adjusted gear change linkages or duff engine mounts.

As for the clutch smell I fairly recently found myself rapidly loosing speed on a long uphill gradient on the motorway while my engine revs increased. By the time I lane dodged to the hard shoulder it was clear that the clutch was slipping in a big way and I required Recovering by the AA. I was surprised that it almost totally lost grip so suddenly after the first sign of slippage although to be fair thrashing my fully fitted out high top camper up a long motorway drag probably into a head wind at 60-70 MPH must be hard on the clutch once slipping has started.
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX