fuel hose size

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

fuel hose size

Post by JackE »

Sorry yet another question! Thanks for your help.

I am a bit confused around the correct fuel hose size to use and if it will matter due to small difference. I am hoping probably not

I had a brickwerks feed and return kit fitted but due to the LPG conversion I am replacing the extra small sections of fuel line. I cannot work out if the size should be 5.5mm or 5.6mm. I am in the process of fitting 5.6mm (I alright had some of this brought from Volksbolts) and have found this very hard to get on to the fuel pump- I think it would be impossible to fit anything smaller. Unfortunately I cannot see any size on the fuel hose I am replacing.

I have read in some places that 5.6mm https://vwt25.blog/2016/05/04/replacing-the-fuel-lines/ but then other that 5.5mm http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Fu ... Fuel_hoses.

I would be grateful if somebody could clarify if the 1mm difference will make a difference and if so what is the correct size. I am using stainless fuel hose clips.

Many thanks
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: fuel hose size

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Squeeze the end of the hose all round with a pair of pliers - this softens the rubber, use a small amount of light oil/diesel for lubrication.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

T25Convert
80-90 Mem No: 7819

Post by T25Convert »

JackE wrote:Sorry yet another question! Thanks for your help.

I am a bit confused around the correct fuel hose size to use and if it will matter due to small difference. I am hoping probably not

I had a brickwerks feed and return kit fitted but due to the LPG conversion I am replacing the extra small sections of fuel line. I cannot work out if the size should be 5.5mm or 5.6mm. I am in the process of fitting 5.6mm (I alright had some of this brought from Volksbolts) and have found this very hard to get on to the fuel pump- I think it would be impossible to fit anything smaller. Unfortunately I cannot see any size on the fuel hose I am replacing.

I have read in some places that 5.6mm https://vwt25.blog/2016/05/04/replacing-the-fuel-lines/ but then other that 5.5mm http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Fu ... Fuel_hoses.

I would be grateful if somebody could clarify if the 1mm difference will make a difference and if so what is the correct size. I am using stainless fuel hose clips.

Many thanks

0.1mm will make very little difference I suspect - a standard sheet of paper is on average 0.1mm thick to give you a sense of scale!

Depends on your fuel pump too - if its one of the goldie-coloured ones then it might have a larger inlet (8mm) which you'll struggle to get either on....
RIP - George - 1.9DG '85 AutoSleeper Trident - rusted away

George Second - 1.9DG '89 Caravelle

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Sounds like you might have an 8mm spigot on your pump inlet. If so, you can get a reducer from T'Webshop and a bit of hose to fit.
These are the bits you'll need:
8 to 6mm REDUCER
7.3mm HOSE
CLIPS

Alternatively you could swap the pump for one with 2x6mm spigots...HERE
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

JackE
80-90 Mem No: 12479

Post by JackE »

Many thanks for your help everyone. In the end I worked out I have a pump with a 6mm inlet and outlet.

Thanks again
1.9 DG petrol and open loop LPG Autosleeper Hightop. 1988