Jx not starting after install

Big lumps of metals and spanners. Including servicing and fluids.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jaber
80-90 Mem No: 14334

Jx not starting after install

Post by jaber »

Hi, just wondering, if any one can help, just installed a jx back in me van as yet no alternator fitted, don’t seem to have any diesel coming from filter, what supplies the filter is it that little pump type thing behind near side jacking point, if it is there is no power to it, does the alternator supply it? It ran fine before engine install any comments much appreciated

Steve

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Jx not starting after install

Post by clift_d »

AFAIK there's no separate fuel pump on a JX - the fuel is drawn through entirely by the injection pump. Try sticking the filter end of the hose that runs to the injection pump in a small can of diesel and see if it starts like that.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Timburrows
80-90 Mem No: 14187

Post by Timburrows »

That’s something that’s been put in that’s not standard,to bleed the systemmake sure the fuel lines are tight,slacken off two injector pipes,crank engine till fuel comes out could take 25 seconds,tighten pipes,turn key till glow plug light goes out then start.make sure the stop solinoid is working clicking when wire is taken off with ign on,if it doesn’t start after a couple of times tow it down the road and bump it

Timburrows

Post by Timburrows »

If the extra pump is in the ign circuit the fuse may have gone so the stop solinoid may not be working,vw didn’t use a secondary pump,the injector pump sucks up the diesel that’s why it’s important to tighten the pipes and filter up

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Did you fill the filter with diesel first?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

jaber

Post by jaber »

Yep there is power to solenoid as for filter as far as I know there is fuel in it, unless it’s ran back in the tank, it’s been stood wit main fuel lines disconnected since October will whip it off tonight, I did try cranking with one injector open

Steve

jaber

Post by jaber »

Got a feeling the little pump may have fed a webasto pre heater set up. One to think of it

Steve

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Any significant amount of air in the pump body will prevent it making enough fuel pressure at the injectors to inject. One good fix is to insert a hand priming bulb pump between filter and injection pump. A few squeezes on that until you feel resistance increase, then turn over with injectors cracked. A few seconds should do it before fuel is there in abundance. Tighten injectors and fire her up. It'll probably bugger about with no throttle response and white smoke for a bit, then suddenly be spot on - it's just getting rid of the last few air bubbles.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

jaber

Post by jaber »

Daft question which is the inlet the one at the front or the one at the back it was a 1y previously changed back to jx and from the filter which is the supply and which is return at the mo the pipe on the mid to right on filter goes to front of pump with a banjo bolt with holes and from back of pump to filter with banjo but the bolt only has a fine hole I presume it’s the return?

Steve

jaber

Post by jaber »

Ok so here is where we are, if the front banjo is the intake of fuel, pulled it off filter filled with diesel put it in a can with diesel, slackens injectors, cranked over fuel in pipe disappears, kept doing this for ages no fuel to cracked injectors, blew down pipe only to discover I can hear bubbles in tank (Syncro) and see fuel going back to filter through pipe, does this mean something is wrong with pump?

Steve

Timburrows

Post by Timburrows »

Take the stop solinoid out and make sure it works properly and the plunger is being pulled up

Timburrows

Post by Timburrows »

Take the stop solinoid out and make sure it works properly and the plunger is being pulled up sorry bad internet day

jaber

Post by jaber »

Well here we are again, she lives, bought a new filter and a pressure bulb filled filter, pumped till bulb went solid I could here bubbles in tank must have been a lot of air in return pipe, anyway long story short, cracked No1 injector spun it for 10 secs it offered to fire so nipped it up one blast on glow plugs and hey presto she lives, just one problem switch on no oil light, start engine oil light on permanent got power to switch etc got a spare switch so hopefully? fingers crossed
Many many thanks to all for info bits etc, best being pressure bulb

Steve

Timburrows

Post by Timburrows »

Good news then

jaber

Post by jaber »

No it’s not the switch unless I have 2 bad ones, if I take wire off to earth light comes on, back on the switch no light until engine starts then it’s permanently on, almost working in reverse any ideas?

Steve